What's new

What do you want to see on the NORTHERN EXPOSURE series DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Since Universal apparently has this show in the works for release on DVD, I'm hoping they will get us both the first and second seasons on the first outing, as there are only 15 episodes between them.

Besides a completely intact release (ie all music included) and a decent image, what else would you like to see on these discs?

Haden

Supporting Actor
Commentary from Rob Morrow and Janine Turner would be nice. They certainly have nothing better to do right now :)

Brian Kaz

Second Unit
I'm just happy that I'll finally have the greatest live-action show ever made on DVD (sorry Farscape!). But to stay on topic, I wouldn't mind seeing deleted scenes and/or out-takes.

And a list of all the guest stars (major & minor) that were also guests on "Seinfeld".

Oh, and a special 3d effect for everytime Maggie's on screen ;)

Kai Zas

Second Unit
I've bought that god-awfull R2 release and was quite pleased with seeing it again, eventhough it looked to be taken directly from VHS. I'll gladly double dip on this one!

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I'm still revelling after hearing news a couple of weeks ago about the Northern Exposure dvd in Jeff's other thread. After such a long absence, I'm salivating for just the bare bones of a good picture & complete soundtracks. Anything above and beyond would cripple me with anticipation.

I'd hope that they would release the seasons in quick succession...I'd devour each set almost immediately and repetitively and want for more.

But if they could beef up the release, I'd also like to see a couple of cast/producer/director commentaries to gain insider's knowledge on some of the shennanigans on the set. After so many years, perhaps any bitter and restrictive edges will give way to warm and humorous reflections.

Perhaps a list of all the music employed in each episode in each set...I still have no clue as to what I was mesmerized by as I sat listenting to the music in so many episodes. If they could do this, maybe the holdup in releasing the seasons with soundtracks intact could be accomplished? BTW,..anyone know what music Chris and Ed were dancing to when they released a crane at the end of a show, a crane that Ed had attempted to raise? Sounded like Talking Heads/David Byrne, but have no idea. Incredible, hypnotic song but have longed to buy it for many years.

One of my favorite episode is where Maurice is celebrating KBHR's silver jubilee (The Big Feast). I loved all of the references to food and wine (Shelley breaking Maurice's vintage Chateau La Tour and mention of a 'boutique' wine, Chateau Ducru Beaucaillou long before it became Wine Spectator's Wine of the Year in '98). Adam conducting the kitchen staff and weaving his Sabatiers was a joy to watch for this foody. It would be icing on the cake to see a 'menu' of the dinner with even some recipes.

This was a magical, exquisite series that still resonates so deeply with me.

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
It would never happen, but I would like the Emmy Award winning nice rich Doby Surround encoded PCM track for this series. It sounded great on TV and LaserDisc.

Matthew Watson

Stunt Coordinator
As long as the entire series is released, and all the music from the original broadcasts is intact, I would consider this a very satisfactory release.

Any extras - such as interviews, a small doc on Roslyn, WA, (where the series was shot), etc - would be icing. I just want the unexpurgated series. I'd actually hesitate to pick this up if the music was changed, sorry to say.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
BTW,..anyone know what music Chris and Ed were dancing to when they released a crane at the end of a show
You may be right on the Talking Heads but for some reason Stewart Copeland jumps to mind.
Man, when this series comes out that will be two down one to go for the TV shows I most want on DVD. The others being Twin Peaks and 21 Jump Street.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Well, after all of this 'frenetic' NX buzz ;), I've downloaded a synopsis of all NX episodes onto my pda.

I remember now that there were 6 seasons.

I'll be buying everything except the last season with the comatose replacement doctor.
While I preferred earlier seasons to the latter part of season six, I've rediscovered that Joel is a substantial presence for the earlier part of the final season six, appearing until episode 15 (of 23).

Dr. Capra & Michelle aren't introduced until episode 9 of season 6.

Again, from a foody's perspective, I enjoyed the episode in which Dr. Capra discovers a 'vibrant' Little Italy, and shares a Partagas with the owner of an exclusive basement eatery, a fellow capranese (sp?).

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I have mixed feelings about six. I didn't think it was that bad overall. The part I'm not that thrilled with is the bubble boy episodes, however, if they put 'em out, I'll buy 'em.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
The part I'm not that thrilled with is the bubble boy episodes, however, if they put 'em out, I'll buy 'em.
My feelings exactly...I like Anthony Edwards, just not as much as he was featured here. Too much and distracted from the regulars (also in terms of their own chemistry).

Matthew Watson

Stunt Coordinator
BTW,..anyone know what music Chris and Ed were dancing to when they released a crane at the end of a show
That was "Lay My Love" by Brian Eno (he of some substantial Talking Heads collaborations) and John Cale (he not so much of any Talking Heads collaborations), from their album "Wrong Way Up." A favorite of mine for many, many years. Here's the Allmusic.com listing for the album. Good stuff all around.

And another example of how much I really hope the music remains in any dvd release of this great show.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Matthew, I cannot express anything more heartfelt than, Thank You.

That song has been lingering in my mind for so many years without roots.

You made my Friday.

Did a quick check...Amazon lists clips of songs and I found 'Lay My Love' - instant smile...I'd say instant buy, but it's being rereleased on August 12th.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
This topic needs a revisit...

Has anyone heard anything more about a timeframe, or what may be included with this long overdue release?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone heard anything more...
Whenever I see a question like this for a TV show release, I guess I always feel obliged to say something because (in my arrogant, egotistical little mind) I'm thinking that you guys hope I know something. :wink:

Not in this case, though. I've been staring at the Universal information (or lack thereof for the past week) and hoping to see something about this show listed. No dice (or maybe "no moose" is more appropriate). Not yet anyway.

In fact, the only Uni-related news I've read in the past few days is confirmation about the merger betweeen Uni and NBC (articles such as this one). They have "signed on the dotted line", as it were, and are moving forward as much as they can while official government approval is still forthcoming (they don't anticipate any obstacles though). The new company is "NBC Universal", in case you don't know, and NBC's Robert Wright will run the show.

Maybe when the dust settles we'll start getting news about DVD releases again. ANY of them, not just NE and other TV product. In the meantime, Galactica better still hit in two weeks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks