What do you want to see on the NORTHERN EXPOSURE series DVDs?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeff Ulmer, Jul 24, 2003.

1. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Since Universal apparently has this show in the works for release on DVD, I'm hoping they will get us both the first and second seasons on the first outing, as there are only 15 episodes between them.

Besides a completely intact release (ie all music included) and a decent image, what else would you like to see on these discs?

2. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

Commentary from Rob Morrow and Janine Turner would be nice. They certainly have nothing better to do right now [​IMG]

3. Brian Kaz

Brian Kaz Second Unit

I'm just happy that I'll finally have the greatest live-action show ever made on DVD (sorry Farscape!). But to stay on topic, I wouldn't mind seeing deleted scenes and/or out-takes.

And a list of all the guest stars (major & minor) that were also guests on "Seinfeld".

Oh, and a special 3d effect for everytime Maggie's on screen [​IMG]

4. MikeDeVincenzo

MikeDeVincenzo Stunt Coordinator

Jeff

Where did you hear of this?!

I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS SINCE I GOT MY DVD PLAYER IN '99!! [​IMG]

5. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Digital bits reported this article from USA Today where it mentions that Universal is working on the series DVDs.

6. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

I've bought that god-awfull R2 release and was quite pleased with seeing it again, eventhough it looked to be taken directly from VHS. I'll gladly double dip on this one!

7. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

I'm still revelling after hearing news a couple of weeks ago about the Northern Exposure dvd in Jeff's other thread. After such a long absence, I'm salivating for just the bare bones of a good picture & complete soundtracks. Anything above and beyond would cripple me with anticipation.

I'd hope that they would release the seasons in quick succession...I'd devour each set almost immediately and repetitively and want for more.

But if they could beef up the release, I'd also like to see a couple of cast/producer/director commentaries to gain insider's knowledge on some of the shennanigans on the set. After so many years, perhaps any bitter and restrictive edges will give way to warm and humorous reflections.

Perhaps a list of all the music employed in each episode in each set...I still have no clue as to what I was mesmerized by as I sat listenting to the music in so many episodes. If they could do this, maybe the holdup in releasing the seasons with soundtracks intact could be accomplished? BTW,..anyone know what music Chris and Ed were dancing to when they released a crane at the end of a show, a crane that Ed had attempted to raise? Sounded like Talking Heads/David Byrne, but have no idea. Incredible, hypnotic song but have longed to buy it for many years.

One of my favorite episode is where Maurice is celebrating KBHR's silver jubilee (The Big Feast). I loved all of the references to food and wine (Shelley breaking Maurice's vintage Chateau La Tour and mention of a 'boutique' wine, Chateau Ducru Beaucaillou long before it became Wine Spectator's Wine of the Year in '98). Adam conducting the kitchen staff and weaving his Sabatiers was a joy to watch for this foody. It would be icing on the cake to see a 'menu' of the dinner with even some recipes.

This was a magical, exquisite series that still resonates so deeply with me.

8. Tony Kwong

Tony Kwong Supporting Actor

It would never happen, but I would like the Emmy Award winning nice rich Doby Surround encoded PCM track for this series. It sounded great on TV and LaserDisc.

9. Matthew Watson

Matthew Watson Stunt Coordinator

As long as the entire series is released, and all the music from the original broadcasts is intact, I would consider this a very satisfactory release.

Any extras - such as interviews, a small doc on Roslyn, WA, (where the series was shot), etc - would be icing. I just want the unexpurgated series. I'd actually hesitate to pick this up if the music was changed, sorry to say.

10. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale

11. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Well, after all of this 'frenetic' NX buzz [​IMG], I've downloaded a synopsis of all NX episodes onto my pda.

I remember now that there were 6 seasons.

12. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I have mixed feelings about six. I didn't think it was that bad overall. The part I'm not that thrilled with is the bubble boy episodes, however, if they put 'em out, I'll buy 'em.

13. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

14. Matthew Watson

15. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Matthew, I cannot express anything more heartfelt than, Thank You.

That song has been lingering in my mind for so many years without roots.

You made my Friday.

Did a quick check...Amazon lists clips of songs and I found 'Lay My Love' - instant smile...I'd say instant buy, but it's being rereleased on August 12th.

16. Matthew Watson

My pleasure.

17. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

This topic needs a revisit...

Has anyone heard anything more about a timeframe, or what may be included with this long overdue release?

18. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer