What's new

What do you use to set up your sub. (1 Viewer)

Ivan P

Stunt Coordinator
I am trying to setup my system,
Just replaced my Technics SA-DA10 with HK AVR-430 , I tried AVIA but I wasn't able to get the test signal just to LFE.
What do you use to set it up?
Should I get something else like DVE ?

Thanks in advance

In Avia there is a Subwoofer Sweep that will effectively sweep from 100hz down to 20hz that is LFE only.
In calibration it is usually the idea of getting your subwoofer levels to match your mains so this is why Avia has them mixed together.
If your just trying to Parametric Equalize your subwoofer then you can use a CD called Autosound 2000 CD 101 which has a few subwoofer only sweeps and every single frequency from 20 to 100 in 1 step increments.

Ivan P

Stunt Coordinator
Ok let me try to explain my problem,
maybe someone with HK may have idea what is going wrong.
When I try to setup the sub, the fronts try to pass low F. too. I don't know why, even I have set in HK that the sub is just LFE not LFE +L/R but still the same problem.
I remember someone else had this problme before but I couldn't find the post

Ivan P

Stunt Coordinator
yes, I set them to Large, but is that bad, here is the spec, on my fronts
Recommended Power Amplifier Range: 15 - 175 watts
SUBWOOFER - 100W
Frequency Range: 32 - 20kHz
Sensitivity: 92dB (2.83 volts/1 meter)
Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms
Woofer: 8"
Mid-Bass Driver: 6.5"
Tweeter: 1"
Crossover Frequencies: 110Hz, 2.7kHz

Should I set them to small during the setup, and switch them to large after I finish with AVIA, what would you recomend?

Thanks

If you set your receiver to Large speakers bass will be sent to your woofers in your speakers. Its not necessarily a bad thing, but since you have a subwoofer you may want to set your speakers to small (even though they may physically be large) so that bass will only be sent to your subwoofer.
I would keep them at one setting either small or large depending upon how you like the sound when you calibrate. Changing your settings after you calibrate is never a good idea. Personally, I keep my speakers set to small even though I have large speakers, its so that my subwoofers handle all of the bass that is being fed to them below the crossover of 80hz in my 5.2 setup.
Also check your crossover setting for your subwoofer. THX recommends crossover set to 80hz which may not be the best setting for every setup out there, however it is a good place to start.
Listen and see what works the best for you, your let your ears decide.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Personally, I'd still set them to small and experiment with whether a 60 Hz. or 80 Hz. crossover sounded better.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Oops, Glenn was responding just as I was typing. Sorry, for repeating some of what he said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks