What's new

What do you use to rip cd's? (1 Viewer)

Andre F

Screenwriter
I've tried both the Real and Musicmatch software for ripping cd's to my harddrive, but have not been real happy with either. What do you use for this task? On that topic do you rip to mp3 or some other format?
-Andre F

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I use a free piece of software called CDex which is available from Download.Com. I've never had any problems with it, and it allows the use of several encoders as well as quality settings.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Still using a version of Audiograbber I got a LONG time ago, with a free command-line MP3 encoder. Still works great though, and there's probably a newer and better version out there.

Andre F

Screenwriter
Anyone using CDex and Windows XP? On the web site it mentions some past problems between the two. Since I use XP I figured I'd ask...
-Andre F

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i use playcenter3 that comes with nomad jukebox 3. what do you guys think? is it good enough? it does sound good to me. never had any problem with it. i used xing's in the past, it was crap. sometimes it couldnt rip a long track. i tried easy cd ripper, and it sometimes produces noises. playcenter3 would be the best i used so far.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
You should try searching for another recent thread (if memory serves correctly), which discussed some pretty good options, with links supplied, to read up on certain formats. For instance, i would also suggest EAC and Lame with the alt preset standard.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
EAC and Lame. EAC has the most serious error correction capabilities of the choices available out there. It's a tad more difficult to get running but once you do that it's simple to use.
Whatever you do, stay away from Xing products, at least when it comes to encoding MP3's. Based on the tests at www.r3mix.net alone there is no reason to go with Xing when there are alternatives that turn in a much better performance, like the free Lame.
EAC, Lame and then making VBR MP3 files is IMHO the best choice.
Oh, and you might want to avoid ID3 tags as well. That is a personal choice but they can mess up the MP3... see r3mix.net, there is discussion about that as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks