What's new

What do you use to power your Rockets? (1 Viewer)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I spoke to a Rocket sales person a few weeks ago and asked him if he thought the Denon 1804 would be able to do the job? His reply was that it "sure would" and they sell the Denon 1804 themselves.

The 1804 Denon is rated at (90 watts 8 ohms) and (125 6 ohms) in the surround mode. I do plan on upgrading my receiver in the future and possibly going the sep rout, but I'm wondering if there is any experience here on the Forum with running the Rockets with a amp like what I am running now?

I was thinking of trying out the 550s/250s? for the mains and the 150s for surround duty along with the 200 center.

My HT is 24 X 12 X 10' ceilings.> Living-room dining-room situation. My general listening level is around -10 to -20 for 99% HT and my bass is covered. The speaker location is 10' away from seating and up against the back wall. I also have a tendency to do my c/over freq at 100 hz.

Do you think I would have the juice to pull it off? I have a few other options I have been thinking about which might include staying within the B&W line I'm in now. I would like to check the Rockets out though if I have enough power to lift them?

keir

Stunt Coordinator
i have a denon 1604 and its plenty of power for my axiom speakers. they're only 87 dB efficient but i can get up to any level i would listen at (ref level is achievable). seriously, i don't think you would even need to upgrade unless you like to listen REALLY loud.

Eric C D

Second Unit
IMO, 90w is enough if you're going to run them all small and use a sub. I wouldn't want to run them full-range with just that though, but maybe that's just me. I do think my 750s respond to my higher power amp, but the I run my 200 off of my 105w/channel receiver just fine.

good luck,

Eric

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
With the 200 being rated at 4 ohm, this speaker was my biggest concern. So it does just fine then with a 105 watt receiver rated at 8 ohm Eric?

Yes Keir, I agree with you but the Rockets are 4-6 ohm speakers. A consideration to be considered.

Nathan J

Stunt Coordinator
Does your reciever have pre-amp level outputs? If so, I would probably buy a separate amp if you had the cash.

ALthough, keep in mind that I do not have rockets....its just a preference of mine to have the mains on a seperate amp.:)

BobAlbano

Second Unit
I would tend to agree that if you are going to be running the speakers as small that the 1804 will have no problem pushing the Rockets. The low frequencies are the ones that really suck the valuable reserves from the amp section. I would give the Denon a try as it will most likely do a fine job for you...Good luck with your decision! :cool:

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Yes that was my first thought also Bob. Being that I like my cross at a 100 generally, this even puts less strain on the amp. I most likely should be thinking of demoing the 250s on account of?

Yes Jason, I have three pre-amp options/capability and it's a thought for down the road if I were to go with the Rockets.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I use a Pioneer rated the same as the Denon gto drive a 550/200/300 setup in an 18’X18’X11’ room (I crossover at 100hz—my lowest option). I am sure that the 1804 is delivering considerably more clean power than my Pioneer.

Although a new receiver is on my wish list, my current one drives that setup reasonably high levels.

StanG

Grip
I just hooked up the 550s and the big foot to an old Denon AVR-3200, and it had NO problems driving them (cleanly) to uncomfortably loud levels :) The 3200 is rated at 5x85W (if I remember correctly).

Eric C D

Second Unit

Oh, yes - just fine :) (not a sarcastic smiley - a happy one). My AVR is a Denon 3300, so at least it's the same mfr. And if one of the AV123 guys is confident in the 1804's ability to drive the 4 ohm speaker, that's enough for me to go on.

Sorry for not responding earlier, I had Friday off.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Thank you all for the confirmation and much appreciated. I think in the spirit of moving forward, I should at least give the Rockets a demo then.

The 200 C is quit intriguing and myself being 99% HT might really benefit from using it?? I think I'll order the center first when it's time and then take it from there.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

Check with the guys at AV123. I’m pretty sure that they will give you a package price, even if you order the speakers separately.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
I agree with all said above that the 1804 should run the system fine providing the speakers are set to small. Also, chances are there is someone not too far from you with Rockets. Check out audioenvy to set up an audition. You might also try the av123 forum, some of the members provide auditions but aren't listed on audioenvy.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I can get the package price with just ordering the center. One of the first things I wanted confirmed when I made the initial call. It's no use spending $$ on shipping the 550s if I don't like the 200.

No Eric, Whats audioenvy.com?? Have you ever heard of SVS?? :D.... I truly say that in fun and am just playing. I honestly Thank you for your input. Theirs my rib and now I'll expect one back :)

I gave the idea of auditioning them first some thought, but I think I would rather do it in-house. It is a good idea though Alex.

__________________________________________________ _______

Liquid Hydrogen??????

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Steve, if you get those 550s, you might try a crossover of 80 Hz. They are pretty flat down to 40 Hz or so, so an 80 Hz crossover is no problem.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Steve,

No better way to do it than in your own home, good choice. As you're going to try just the 200 first I have one thing to say, welcome to the dark side.;)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
O I definitely will Lew.> (Cross at 80 hz) I have found that I like the 100 hz cross most of the time with my bass toned down running my B&Ws. I know that might sound kind of odd but then we're all individuals. The Rockets could present themselves in a way that I could favor the 80 hz cross most of the time though?

Do you think Alex?? If I recall correctly you run B&Ws also? I know I've seen you in plenty of B&W Threads and past conversations we have had regarding. Have you moved over to the dark side?:b

EDIT Ok now I get it! (Liquid Hydrogen).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks