What's new

What do you use to mount your surrounds? (1 Viewer)

Daniel G

Grip
How is everyone mounting their surround speakers? What hardware are you using? I have small 2-way bookshelf speakers.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
I use some fairly heavy speakers for my surrounds, so I use the B-Tech brackets. Not sure these are the same model (mine are several years old) but here are some at Crutchfield (you might do better price-wise with a search).

-Robb

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I use B-Tech also (my surrounds weigh 30 pounds so I needed
a robust bracket) I went with the BT-1 which does require
drilling into the back of the speaker. I can swivel and pan
the surrounds to any position I need.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I have Polk RTi28's for my mains and 3 surrounds, and I use the B-tech BT-7 brackets on all 5 speakers because I didn't want to drill into the cabinets. The Polks only have a keyhole mount, so the BT-7 brackets were the way to go for me.

Daniel G

Grip
it looks like the BT77's are the replacements for the BT7's? Are there any speaker resonance issues with side mount brackets?

JeffTodd

Stunt Coordinator
I use Phil Itturalde's (spelling?) idea of heavy duty picture frame hanging hardware to mount my JBLS26s. Very inexpensive and effective.

Josh~H

Stunt Coordinator
From right to left, this picture shows my rear L-surround, and rear center surround (ignore the hanging speaker wire -- I'm working on that :) ):

I mounted the rear surround L/R by using the black wrought iron bracket as shown. The speaker rests on a 3/4" thick piece of pine that I cut to size, sanded, and finished with Minwax. The pine is attached to the bracket with two wood screws, and the bracket is attached to the wall with 2 molly anchors.

The rear center channel is currently mounted using a generic-looking wall-mount bracket (I'll post the brand later). I bought it at the same place I bought my speakers, and quite frankly I got ripped off. A pair cost $40, and they're made of cheap plastic. Supposedly they're rated for 10 lbs, but even using the minimum number of extensions (they can be extended for mounting to ceilings and to swivel), the plastic joints sag under the weight of the Atom.

I'm going to replace the rear bracket with a double-wide shelf that will allow me to use 2 Atoms as the rear channel rather than just 1.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Here's what Jeff Todd was referring to ... Home Depot Hardware, about $2 each package (total investment = $8.00). It did require drilling* two small holes per each speaker (x3) to mount the Heavy Duty Ring Hangers. The Picture Hangers (nailed into sheet rock) were rated 50 lbs. (the 17" x 10" x 10" - JBL S26 = 22 lbs. each)

Right Side Surround, leveled using a couple of rubber bumper squares - which helps isolates the speaker cabinet vibrations vs. the wall (hanging since Feb. 27th, 2002)

Rear Center Channel Surrounds with a slight tilt down.

*To limit the drilling depth, I wrapped a piece of masking tape around the drill bit to mark the MAX. depth I would drill!!! Worked great in my 20' x 30' HT/family room! It's quick and solid, ... mounting speakers just like a large wall hanging!!! ;)

Phil

Alex-F-V

Stunt Coordinator
Here are the stands that I will use.. really expensive but i got them as a gift... they look awesome and can support up to 100 lbs, but I got some really small take 2.2 surrounds right now. (I pland to upgrade later, way later, to some more hardcore speakers.)

My stands

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks