What's new

What do you think will be the Sleeper Hit this summer ? (1 Viewer)

Reni D

Stunt Coordinator
We all seen and know that Star Wars and Spider Man are the big blockbusters this summer but i'm still waiting for that one movie that takes everyone by surprise and becomes the Sleeper Hit. I for one believe it may be Reign of Fire. I saw the preview and this movie seems really cool.

Jose Q

Stunt Coordinator
1-800-CALL-ATT....That's the only thing that comes to my mind when I see that goof.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I'm speaking as a fan of 50's Horror films like THEM!,Tarantula, etc. & I also liked the modern parody Tremors which this film seems to be molded after.
That said I think it was a big casting mistake to hire the offensively talent-less David Arquette for Eight-Legged Freaks. All I have to do is see his goofy mug on that movie poster and I loose all interest in this film. They would've been better off casting all unknowns for it then to go with what I think will result in Box-office poison. However I think that if they come up with a different Arquette-less poster they might have a chance of attracting some unfortunate souls to this film. :)
With Reign of Fire I have doubts that a traditional Fantasy element like Dragons would mesh well in a modern setting. Who knows though as stranger concepts have worked before.

Reni D

Stunt Coordinator
From the looks of it Eight Legged Freaks is definitely future guilty pleasure. Even thought I agree that casting David Arquette is going to ruin the movie.
but Reign of Fire looks like a combination of Dragonslayer and Aliens
looks like it will kick Ass

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
Spy Kids 2. Just as the first Spy Kids surpassed expectations, people really seem to be underestimating this one.

Talal

Stunt Coordinator
I think in Signs case, it'll get a bumper opening... and word of mouth will be strong, so that opening will maintain itself well.. i don't think it's gonna come out of nowhere...

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Signs is a hard one to pin this on. I mean, M. Knight is a known commodity now, right? It's not like The Sixth Sense where nobody knew what to expect and when word of mouth got out, the film took off into the stratosphere. I think Signs is going to do fine. It's not like it's sneaking in under any radars.
My sleeper pick is also Eight Legged Freaks. I think people have been waiting for a fun monster flick that is aimed at adults. This looks like it might be it.
Bruce

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
BTW my vote for sleeper hit could be the new Harrison Ford Submarine Adventure film.
K-19 The Widowmaker
The true story of Russia's first nuclear ballistic submarine, which suffered a malfunction in its nuclear reactor on its maiden voyage in the North Atlantic in 1961. The submarine's crew, led by the unyielding Captain Zateyev, races against time to prevent a Chernobyl-like nuclear explosion which threatens not only the lives of his crew, but has the potential to ignite a world war between the super powers.
Opens July 19th
Will it turn out to be another modern Sub classic in the same vein as Hunt For Red October/Crimson Tide? :) On the other hand we might have another U-571. :frowning:
My only concern here is Harrison Ford as a Russian Sub Captain?! Strange casting decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks