What do you think the "ORIGINAL" in Original Aspect Ratio mean?

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
I'm taking this poll to prove a point in another thread.

When you hear the words, ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO does this mean...
  1. The aspect ratio which a film is presented originally in theaters or on television?

or
  2. Whatever the director wants even if it doesn't coincide with how the film is presented in theaters?

No explanation is necessary. Just pick A or B please.

Thank you.

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
I've always thought it should be DIAR(director's intended aspect ratio) rather than OAR, so I'll have to go with B.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Neither...because of the poll.

OAR should mean the correct presentation of the film within the boundries of what it can be.

For example, Ben-Hur could be shown at 2.55:1 on TV instead of 2.76:1. But it's blatantly wrong when matted incorrectly to produce a false 2.76:1 ratio. Of course, anything under 2.55:1 would be out of the question.

On the other hand, a film like Help! (made at 1.33:1 for 1.66:1 matting) can be shown at 1.66:1 or 1.33:1 without compositional flaws. In fact, I used my video editor to correctly matte Help! to 1.66:1 and it looks great. But it looks just as good withotu the slight matting.

It should be a combination of what the film can be shown in and also what is reccomended by the filmmakers.

Shrek could actually be shown at 1.66:1 without a single bit of the picture lost. That's what it was rendered in...but 1.78:1 gives it better compositional form.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
As the lone A voter, I feel it should be made clear that I mean the ratio the director first intended for the theaters. I don't vote B because that would be in favour of the mis-framing of Apocalypse Now on dvd as directors and DP have second thoughts, years later on how it should be shown.

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
I pick B. Even if a movie has been filmed in Super 35 or is a Soft Matte, I prefer to see it in widescreen. Some movies that are Soft Matted are ruined with the Mattes removed because there's a possibility of Mics and other props showing up in the picture. I prefer the widescreen of Super 35 because it looks more natural in widescreen. Jaws The Revenge is a Super 35. I compared the Fullscreen to the Widescreen. The fullscreen had a little more top and bottom information but had less info on the sides. The widescreen, which I own on DVD has a little less top and bottom info, but more info on the sides. And I do like the widescreen version better. I mostly prefer Cinerama, Panavision, Cinemascope, and any other widescreen techiniques that uses an anamorphic lense. Cinerama used a 3 camera techinique that I think is really cool.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mukashilaneha