What's new

What do you think the next Time Life Set will be? (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

Ah, but Sony did license before. Their Muppet Show discs and the first season of What's Happening were Time-Life exclusives before they were released in stores. Nothing happened there, nor with Paramount and the first season of The Odd Couple.

michael_ks

Screenwriter

That's hardly the point. Releasing a generically animated cartoon from the 80s/90s does not bode well for the quality of future releases.

Matthew H

Second Unit
Says who? That's like saying any studio won't release any film before 2000 because they make Special Editions of newer films.

Why can't Time Life branch out?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Like it or not, there is a fanbase for this show (it doesn't include me) and it does make sense for Time Life to release something that is bound to sell for them. If you're a fan, it certainly seems like it'll be a nice release.

As soon I read the news at TV Shows On DVD, I had to laugh because I knew there would be outrage among the "I only like old shows" crowd.

michael_ks

Screenwriter

They can, I suppose. But I'm old enough to know that once you begin catering to a lower common denominator there's usually no turning back. This holds true for other things besides consumables, by the way.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think lowest common denominator would be more along the lines of releasing a series set of Fear Factor or American Idol. The Real Ghostbusters release is catering to a niche just like Get Smart and The Man From U.N.C.L.E. sets did. It's just a niche that you're not interested in.

michael_ks

Screenwriter

Not entirely true, in my case. If it had been a critcally acclaimed drama or comedy from the 90s that many fans clamor for but has never been released I'd think "Oh well, not my cup of tea, but I'm happy for them. Maybe next time it'll be 'Thriller'". But this...this is not good.

Matthew H

Second Unit
Comparing The Real Ghostbusters to a Michael Jackson music video isn't really possible.

Is this "not good" because it's animated? If it were live-action, it'd be ok then?

I don't see what all the fuss is about.. Time Life even did Ren & Stimpy before those botched Paramount sets came out. Nobody was complaining then.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I guess it's because people have looked at Time Life (after only two series releases) as the oasis in the desert of the classic TV and this release isn't giving them that so they're not happy. Like I said before, I think Time Life is looking to sell shows that have a fanbase and they don't care if the show is from the 1960's or the 1980's but alot of people see them as only catering to golden age series.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Man, too bad there doesn't seem to be an online T.H.E. CAT Community that Time-Life could excite someday.

On the other hand, the very idea of an online T.H.E. CAT Community sort of scares me a little...

Anyway, I now predict the inevitable R1 DVD release of THE CLIFFWOOD AVENUE KIDS: THE COMPLETE SERIES from Time-Life in 2009! Followed by WHEELIE AND THE CHOPPER BUNCH: THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION in 2010! Wheeee! :D

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
I like cartoons that I watched too, at least up until I was 8 when I outgrew them. Still, my Time-Life hopes weren't really for the COMPLETE MIGHTY HERCULES! Or BIG WORLD OF LITTLE ADAM, THE DEFINITIVE COLLECTION. I have stupid cartoons I liked from my childhood, the same as everyone else. But considering the wonderful job TL did with 2 beloved 60s cult classics, my expectations were a bit higher. And although the "Real Ghostbusters" community may be excited, I can tell you that the entire Crusader Rabbit community is up in arms.

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
Charles-

I knew you would say it before I got the chance... Loggin in at 514 episodes, it would be a sweet set. We can keep hoping!

Jack

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Good, then you know how I feel about this news. :P

Gary "for what it's worth, I pretty much agree with Michael on this decision - this is not one of Time Life's crowning achievements" O.

Stephen Bowie

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe nobody here guessed it because ... nobody's that lame?

At least I got a laugh out of the phrase "Ghostbuster community."

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank

That was funny but not as good as the one that thought Thriller referred to the Michael Jackson video. That was hysterical.

Where the heck is the "Mr. Novak community" when we need it?

troy evans

Screenwriter
We'll it could have been much worse guys. We could have been getting Rainbow Brite or Strawberry Shortcake or some such shit. At least Real Ghostbusters is noteworthy in cartoondom.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
As soon I read the news at TV Shows On DVD, I had to laugh because I knew there would be outrage among the "I only like old shows" crowd.[/quote]

I don't think that's funny. I want an apology!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks