What's new

What do you think the chances of one these sitcoms having a complete series release? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Solomon
These sitcoms below are already have all their individual seasons complete on DVD but not a complete series yet.

Alice
Mary Tyler Moore
Rhoda
Diffrent Strokes

Would be nice to see one of these shows get a complete series release.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
No I mean a complete series with bonus features like All in the Family and Maude

None. They've all been released. The final word has been said. MTM was dragged to the finish line by Oprah, Rhoda and Diff'rent Strokes were completed by Shout, and Warner Archives completed Alice. What's out there is out there. If no bonus features were produced at the time, no one's going back to double dip in the twilight of DVD. And in the case of MTM and Rhoda, they're owned by Disney now, and Disney doesn't generally license or release things on DVD. So what we have is it.

And, as was said, the seasons of MTM were put together in a Complete Series case, if it's still in print after the Fox buyout. That's as much of a "complete series" as we'll likely ever get.

Real Name
Solomon
None. They've all been released. The final word has been said. MTM was dragged to the finish line by Oprah, Rhoda and Diff'rent Strokes were completed by Shout, and Warner Archives completed Alice. What's out there is out there. If no bonus features were produced at the time, no one's going back to double dip in the twilight of DVD. And in the case of MTM and Rhoda, they're owned by Disney now, and Disney doesn't generally license or release things on DVD. So what we have is it.

And, as was said, the seasons of MTM were put together in a Complete Series case, if it's still in print after the Fox buyout. That's as much of a "complete series" as we'll likely ever get.

I know MTM was released and all seasons was on DVD, I was wondering would the show receive the same treatment as Bob Newhart. After all the seasons was released there was a complete set that came after that

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
They're not telling you that because each individual season was released. The Mary Tyler Moore Show did get a complete series set.

71f0k7ArWqL._SL1500_.jpg

While it may not have received extra content that was exclusive to it, it did get a complete series DVD set.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I know MTM was released and all seasons was on DVD, I was wondering would the show receive the same treatment as Bob Newhart. After all the seasons was released there was a complete set that came after that
The Bob Newhart Show was originally stalled after S4 was released. Shout! rescued it with a complete series set, repackaging S1-S4 on SS discs, and then released the remaining seasons individually a few months later.

Real Name
Solomon
The Bob Newhart Show was originally stalled after S4 was released. Shout! rescued it with a complete series set, repackaging S1-S4 on SS discs, and then released the remaining seasons individually a few months later.

bob newhart has individual seasons and a complete series

Attachments

• bobby.jpg
    bobby.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 311

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
bob newhart has individual seasons and a complete series
You didn't read properly. I'll spell it out in detail.

Originally, The Bob Newhart Show was released by 20th Century Fox on DS/flipper style discs. They released seasons 1-4 in 2005 & 2006:

1596115020970.png
1596115033929.png

1596115044796.png
1596115061447.png

Then they stalled the show. No more releases were to come from 20th.

In May, 2014, Shout! Factory released the entire series in a box set. This set features *single sided* discs for S1-S4 as well as an extra, "bonus", disc with "Group Therapy" (a roundtable discussion with some of the cast), "19th Anniversary Special" (a reunion clip show played like an episode), and the "Unaired Pilot":
1596115133742.png

Some people were quite upset as it was *only* available as a complete set. Some of those who'd purchased the original S1-S4 releases only wanted the last 2 seasons and not the whole thing. Queue wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Then in February, 2015 Shout! released S5 and S6 (aka "The Final Season") separately causing cheering and dancing in the streets from those who desperately held on to their original flipper sets:
1596115326871.png
1596115417037.png

Shout! Factory has not released individual Seasons 1-4 and are not likely to do so.

On September 29th, 2020, Shout! is re-releasing the full series box set *minus* the "bonus disc" in the original.

Real Name
Solomon
You didn't read properly. I'll spell it out in detail.

Originally, The Bob Newhart Show was released by 20th Century Fox on DS/flipper style discs. They released seasons 1-4 in 2005 & 2006:

View attachment 76208 View attachment 76209
View attachment 76210 View attachment 76211

Then they stalled the show. No more releases were to come from 20th.

In May, 2014, Shout! Factory released the entire series in a box set. This set features *single sided* discs for S1-S4 as well as an extra, "bonus", disc with "Group Therapy" (a roundtable discussion with some of the cast), "19th Anniversary Special" (a reunion clip show played like an episode), and the "Unaired Pilot":
View attachment 76212
Some people were quite upset as it was *only* available as a complete set. Some of those who'd purchased the original S1-S4 releases only wanted the last 2 seasons and not the whole thing. Queue wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Then in February, 2015 Shout! released S5 and S6 (aka "The Final Season") separately causing cheering and dancing in the streets from those who desperately held on to their original flipper sets:
View attachment 76213 View attachment 76214

Shout! Factory has not released individual Seasons 1-4 and are not likely to do so.

On September 29th, 2020, Shout! is re-releasing the full series box set *minus* the "bonus disc" in the original.

I do understand how that can be frustrating because that happened with Three's company and the jeffersons

Real Name
Solomon
They're not telling you that because each individual season was released. The Mary Tyler Moore Show did get a complete series set.

71f0k7ArWqL._SL1500_.jpg

While it may not have received extra content that was exclusive to it, it did get a complete series DVD set.

That wasnt the type of complete set I was referring to.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I do understand how that can be frustrating because that happened with Three's company and the jeffersons
That's what happened with The Jeffersons but *not* with Three's Company.

Three's Company saw individual season releases from Lionsgate in 2003-2006 with them releasing the entire run. In 2014 Anchor Bay released the box set.

Robert pretty well summed up the likelyhood of the ones you mentioned getting "box sets" released.

Real Name
Solomon
That's what happened with The Jeffersons but *not* with Three's Company.

Three's Company saw individual season releases from Lionsgate in 2003-2006 with them releasing the entire run. In 2014 Anchor Bay released the box set.

Robert pretty well summed up the likelyhood of the ones you mentioned getting "box sets" released.

Not even different strokes?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
That already got extras on the season 1 set by Sony. Too bad they had to wait for Mill Creek to actually release the actually complete first season.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

Well, I don't know if it's technically still in print, but I noticed a copy for sale in a local (Manchester, NH) Barnes & Noble a couple of days ago.

Real Name
Solomon
The one-hour episodes were presented as two 22-minute syndicated episodes each. Mill Creek managed to get the full 48-minute network versions.

Thank u for this information because I had no idea it was another release by Mill Creek. Hopefully Mill Creek can finish and complete the rest of the series like they did Good Times

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks