What do you think ? suggestions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Hodgkinson, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Mike Hodgkinson

Mike Hodgkinson Auditioning

My first post...looking to spend $5500.00-$6000.00 cdn including tax..Thinking of purchasing Toshiba 42H81,Paradigm system including mini monitor,ps-1000 sub,cc-370 center and atoms..Receiver either Marantz SR-4200 or Denon 1602..need ideas for progressive dvd...doesn't have to be fancy.

Any thoughts or ideas...will be buying in Winnipeg.

2. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

Look at the Toshiba sd-5700 for the dvd player. I believe it is $399(USD). It plays DVD-A, mp3 cdr's, and is progressive scan. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

Nick L

3. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

Mike, i would recommend looking futher ahead when buying important equipment. When i was shopping around, preouts for ALL channels was a must. The 1602 only has a subwoofer preout. Once upgradatitis hits (trust me it will), you won't be able to add an external amp to your 1602 because of the absence of preouts for the speakers. THe marantz 4200 has preouts on all channels and from what i hear around here sound good but i wouldn't recommend it because of the problems the whole x200 line has been experiencing. I talked to a Marantz rep over here in Toronto and he failed to convince me that the problem has been resolved. How can he say that the problems (dropouts, bright flashes, etc) have already been solved when Marantz itself hasn't released an official fix for ALL he problems? I don't know if it has been resolved now but dealers, forum members, and everyone i've talked to about the maranrz issue had mixed opinions. For me mixed opinions = doubt = risk.

I auditioned the mini-monitors before and IMHO, found them to be muddy. I would recommend moving up to the Reference series if that is possible. But listen to the stuff you will buy before you get them. Audition as many as possible even though it may be tiresome, it will be worth it.

4. Mike Hodgkinson

Mike Hodgkinson Auditioning

Thanks for input. I may have to look at denon 1802...according to salesman I have been dealing with there is only 100-125 cdn difference in price. I have listened to the speaker system I described and it sounds ok to me but then I've not not got the greatest ear around...What i am concerned with is the choice of tv. After searching various forums it seems to me that there are as many pros as there are cons to getting a rpt..What choices are good for a direct view tv???

Thanks for input

Mike

5. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

Mike, i have only been in the home theater scene for about 2 months but in those two months that i spent researching and shopping, i've learned a lot. One of the things that i learned is that, IMHO, any kind of in-store testing wouldn't compare to auditioning the equipment you are going to buy inside your house! When i brought home the equipment that i bought, boy was i ever critical of what i was listening to. I did spend whole days in stores around the area and i basically went with my gut feel when i bought the reference 20's. But intricate details that i never noticed when i listened to it three times in two different stores were noticeably more apparent when i started giving it a serious listen in my room.

just my own experience, hope it helps somehow