What's new

What do you think? Opinions, please! (1 Viewer)

Peter-PP

Stunt Coordinator
I need your opinion, what do you think of the plant in the picture?

a. Beautiful
b. Ugly
c. Creepy
d. Alien looking
or ------?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
a. That is a very interesting plant, and it does remind me of ballet slippers. What is it?

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Those things look exactly like little ballet slippers. Is this a real plant?

If I had to pick one word...interesting.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
They remind me of similar plants that grow in the wetlands down here. Kinda exotic looking though. These down here don't have alot of fragrance to them either.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I once roomed with someone who grew orchids, and his were even stranger than these. They're fascinating plants.

Peter-PP

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you all for the replies!

It is a rare and exotic ladyslipper orchid native to the jungles of South America. Yes, they do look exactly like little ballerina slippers with very long, long dangling shoe laces.

I collect rare orchids and this plant finally bloomed for me for the first time since I bought it over two years ago. The slipper blooms with the long petals (21-28 inches) have certainly attracted a lot of attention in my house and from many visitors who just came to see the blooms. Most find them very interesting and unique, a few thought they looked like bugs, aliens and one guy thought they reminded him of sex organs (I don't see the similarities). So, that was why I was curious to know what others thought of the plant/blooms.

The next picture was taken from a different angle and the lighting was not as good as in the first picture.

Peter-PP

Stunt Coordinator
Tony and Daren:

That is how nature has intended them to look and they stay like that for many months and then promptly drop without wilting. Today, a woman said they were very interesting and sinister looking as well.

StephenA

Screenwriter
They remind me of those types of carnivorous plants that have a little "pitcher" filled with digestive fluids to eat insects and whatever other small things fall in it.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Stephen, that's the first thing that popped into my nind when I saw them. I thought they were pitcher plants, a passively carnivorous plant. The orchids appear to be a spinoff of the same plant. All of them have the clearly defined pocket, and a single leaf protects the opening from rain.

Peter, can you tell if the plants have liquid inside them?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks