what do you think of this?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Riaad, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Riaad

Riaad Agent

Hi

After alot of research I have decided to go with the Wharfedale Diamond 8 series.Good reviews and within my budget.

I have decided to get:
    Diamond 8.3 - Fronts
    Diamond 8.2 - Rears
    Diamond center

Sony SA WM40 sub.

How does this setup look? I am still not too sure on the Sony. Will it fit in with the other speakers?. I have included it as it is well taked about and cheap.

Would I be better off getting something different especially as I love my base.?

I will be connecting it to a H/K 300rds receiver
    My room is small to medium and I listen to mostly HT.

Thanks
    Regards
    Riaad

2. Paul_Dunlop

Paul_Dunlop Second Unit

Hi

That's a nice setup - i watched/listened to a couple of movies on the Diamonds while i was waiting for some car audio work to be finished.

They sound very nice in my opinion. They were matched with one of the Wharfedale subs (not sure which model, i think it was the 10") I will definitely be adding these speakers to my list for future upgrades.

One other option, since you mention that you love bass, would be to pick up 4 of the 8.2's and reallocate the money saved for a better sub.

Hope this helps, have fun shopping

3. Riaad

Riaad Agent

Hi Paul

You mentioned that i should think of going for 4 8.2's.
    Is there much diffrence in using the 8.2's for the fronts apposed to the 8.3's?

well i guess that the 8.3's is the same as the 8.2s , just a bigger cabinet.

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I agree. If you love your bass, you would be much better off dropping the mains to 8.2 and putting that money towards a better sub. The Hsu VTF2 or Adire Rava are a huge step up from the Sony and the minimum I'd consider for those speakers.

Crossed over at 80hz to a good sub, I really doubt you could tell the 8.3 from the 8.2.

5. Paul_Dunlop

Paul_Dunlop Second Unit

Hi

I don't think you'll notice any difference with the 8.2's up front - the 8.3 is an 8.2 on top of a cabinet, and only has 5 Hz lower extension.

You won't be able to run the 8.3's as 'Large' anyways, so the 8.2 is probably a better fit. (technically you can, but you shouldn't)

I remember thinking that i would want to raise the 8.3's higher, since they seemed a little low for towers.

I think you'll be very happy with 4 of those 8.2's.

6. Riaad

Riaad Agent

Thanks guys
    I think i will go for 4 8.2s then.
    Regards
    Riaad[​IMG]