What's new

What do you think of this... (1 Viewer)

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Hello HT people :),
I have recently just purchased a plasma tv, and the HD quality is pretty good, dvds are awesome... so my next step was to add a basic surround setup, one with a dvd player. I am a newbie with this stuff so I don't want to get all different pieces and basically build it myself.
I saw some HTIB solutions. I don't want to spend more than $700, which I know it wont be great, but thats okay with me. I saw the Sony DAV-FX500, has the 5 disc changer (dont like the fact that the tray doesn't eject) progressive DVD player, 5.1 surround. My question is what is your opinion on this system? Has anyone heard it? I have seen some things that say its good, and then I read on sites like these that Sony isn't really that good for this stuff. I did order this already, and got a great price ($450), but I just want to make sure I am not wasting my $$.
Please help,

Thanks,
G

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
HTIB solutions are good, but limit you on future upgrades and expansion ie: HD DVD or Blue Ray, HD Satellite, anything that will be connected Via Component Video etc. Second if your DVD Player dies you loose your entire system not just the dvd player. You can get a good Upconverting Reciever, DVD Player and Satellite Speakers all sold seperatly for less than $1000. Might be a little over your budget but in the long run you will save money by only having to swap out your DVD player as Technology changes to either the HD DVD format or Blue Ray Format. You can also run your cable or satellite box through this and can easily upgrage to HD Cable or HD Satellite in the future with no hassle. I hope you are not disappointed in the limitations of a HTIB solution.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Hi,
Thanks for the response. I am aware of the limitations for upgrades. However, if I want to add a HD DVD player later on, I can always do that by connecting that device to another input on the TV, correct? Right now, I am running my HD cable on HDMI. I have an addition HDMI port on the TV which I would connect the Sony DVD device. I figured for the price I got it for, it would supply a good enough sound that a newbie, like myself, would think is pretty sweet. I know the DVD player is supposed to up-convert dvds. How exactly it does it, I am not sure, but my BOSE DVD player (returned) had awesome PQ, but the DVD would skip alot, I had to resort to using my PS2.

So my HTIB should arrive tomorrow or Friday. I am starting to think more and more, "WHERE DO I PUT THE SPEAKERS". I have read some articles, but for my room, it is confusing.

Anyway, if anyone else knows about this product, or the dream product line and has heard it, or heard anything about it being crap, please let me know :)

Thanks again

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Not knowing the configuration of your room, here's some general ideas.. First I'm hoping that you have a basement, the ceiling is not drywalled, and you have access to the rooms floor from the basement. Rear Speakers can be difficult in many rooms as many rooms are not designed for acccustic accuracy. You will probably have to fudge it a little. Before Wall mounting or running your speaker lines (if you choose) through the basement and up and into the walls( again only if you are going that route), I would test run it over the carpet and see what sounds best for your situation. Try to get the rear speakers separated as far as possible, behind your sitting area. Separate your fronts and the center speaker should be either above or below or tv. If you have any pictures of the room email them to me. contact me via private message. I might have some other suggestions if I get a visual of the room. Then you get into wall fishing and more... all depends on your skills and how comfortalbe you are doing this type of work. Many people end up just punching a hole through there carpet near the wall and runninging through the basement then another hole in the floor at your equipment. That's NOT how we do it, we would wall fish this wires and everything would be hidden in the walls, but if you are not comfortable fishing wires into walls, the hole in the floor way is cheaper.. just leaves you with a hole. If you have hardwood floors.. you probably don't want to be drilling holes in it!... Let me know how it goes.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
I will definitely try to get some pix to your email. It is a strangly shaped room, very open on one side, and not at all on the other.
I do appreciate the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks