What's new

what do you think of this? (1 Viewer)

brian rudy

Auditioning
I just found this ad in my local paper.(2) Paradigm Monitor 7, (2) LCR 350 speakers, and a Yamaha RX-V670 receiver for 400$. I have no other info yet. Are these older speakers and if they weren't beat up, are they worth the cost? I am in the market for Paradigm speakers but not in a rush. I don't want the Yamaha and will sell or trade it if I buy it. What is a reasonable price if it is in good condition? Thanks for any help you can give me.
Brian

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
I would run over there and take a detailed and anal examination of the condition of these speakers. If they are set up, then listen for awhile. Remove the gills and inspect, again very closely. Give them the whole 9 yards in terms of cosmetics , etc....

If not set up, make him a deal that you will need to set them up and listen to them (forget asking a nearby dealer for an opinion... he will throw you out the door) before you hand over cash.
Ask for date of purchase and receipts. And finally take a look at the seller... would you want to hang out with him?
That's a good start right there. If doubts arise, then proceed with caution.

These speakers are a steal at 400. if all is on the up and up. Perhaps this bloke needs quick cash. Never know, worth a call and look/see.
The amp is gravy if it actually has life left in it.

Good Luck,
Bok

brian rudy

Auditioning
Thanks Brian. I will call in the morning. If all goes well I will try to trade the Yamaha for a center. Can you tell me something about the LCR speakers?

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Brian,

I owned the Monitor 7 for a couple years, or so, and as far as the LCR 350's they somewhat predated the 7's. But when I was shopping back then, the esteemed Corey Greenberg of the long since defunct Audio Magazine( or the old Stereo Review, perhaps), rated the 350's as one of the best in the price/performance category. Actually, he loved the 350's and rated them VERY high. Though no longer available, the 350's were one of the first speakers to advocate, and actually market, the concept of 5 of the same speakers all around approach. The 350's gave way to the Monitor 7's, but in my mind the 350 had some of the traits of the Studio Series line. If my memory is somewhat intact ;*), they were considered that good. If nothing else, all four speakers will mate well with each other.

Go for it

BOK

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
I would also look on the backs of those speakers to find out what version they are. Although most likely v1s, if you manage to score v2s - that'd be an excellent deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks