What's new

What do you think of this "Regional DVD Area"? (1 Viewer)

Jorge O'Neill

Auditioning
I believe that one of the reasons behind the fact that this forum is not too active is that some people may not be aware of it's existence.
As the general DVD forum is called "Home Theatre Software", one may assume that it discusses all aspects of DVD including regions 2,3 and 4 and will not look for a specific forum to discuss these regions.
To me it would make a lot more sense to either rename the "Home Theater Software" to "Region 1 DVD" or simply close this "Regional DVD Area" and allow region 2,3 and 4 discussions to take place in the general "Home Theater Software" forum.
Are you of the same opinion?

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
I may remember wrong, but I seem to remember that there were more activity re other region DVD's when they were part of the Home theater software section.
I think the reason they were separated though was that while this is a international forum, most people was tired of seeing other region stuff. Even people form outside R1 keeps to R1 almost exclusively, so the rest of the regions got shoveled out, and most people seem to be happy about it :)
------------------
"You're 10 seconds away from the most embarrassing moment of your life!"
Click here to admit you want to see Ford Fairlane on DVD!
DVD List Link Removed

MikeSerrano

Second Unit
quote: I think the reason they were separated though was that while this is a international forum, most people was tired of seeing other region stuff[/quote]
IIRC, the reason that non-R1 software was removed was due to concerns of the various intellectual property laws (specifically the DMCA) and ways of subverting region protection and the like.
When people are clamoring for a remastered SE of the DE of Stargate, their interest is piqued when someone posts in HT Software that it will be available in R2. What ensues is a discussion of region-hacking, PAL and other issues in the forum with the most visibilty.
IMHO, moving these discussions to a low-traffic forum serves the purpose of trying to limit how many people obtain this information, and therefore limit the HTF's liability. Basically, creating a Regional DVD area killed most non-R1 discussion.
While I understand the decision, I do not agree with it. Home Theater Software should discuss all Home Theater Software. There are already rules prohibiting discussion of copy-protection hacks/work-arounds--they should be extended to region-coding hacks/work-arounds if Ron and Parker are afraid of the legal implications.
I see nothing wrong in informing the majority of the HTF readership about National Lampoon's Vacation is available in anamorphic widescreen in R2. Who does that harm?
Currently in HT Software there is a thread asking about a possible Stargate reissue:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/030834.html .
Information about non-R1 software would be helpful there.
Another poster is asking where they can find "Friends" on DVD by the season:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/030832.html .
As far as I know, the only options are non-R1.
As a result of this thread, I am posting a request to integrate Regional DVD with HT Software in the Forum Feedback area.
EDIT: Here is the Forum Feedback thread:
REQ: Integrate Regional DVD into HT Software
-Mike
------------------
.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o 0o.
void *: Finger to spiritual emptiness underlying everything
.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o 0o.

[Edited last by MikeSerrano on September 21, 2001 at 11:44 AM]

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
While I understand the decision, I do not agree with it. Home Theater Software should discuss all Home Theater Software. There are already rules prohibiting discussion of copy-protection hacks/work-arounds--they should be extended to region-coding hacks/work-arounds if Ron and Parker are afraid of the legal implications.
I agree with you 100%. I am writing a very long, comprehensive review of POLICE STORY and the numerous versions it is available in from all over the world (including the U.S.). I fear it will get shut down and shoved into the R2 area, where nobody will see it.
That would not be fair to the countless people who would probably read it if it stays in the R1 area, where I am going to post it.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Mike:
The reason that the Regional DVD area was set up was NOT because of legal issues, etc. It was set up was to give those members that don't purchase Region 1 DVDs the chance to talk about titles in Region 2, etc. and not have it get buried within a couple of hours in the Software area. Since the Software area is one of our busiest when someone would post about a Region 2 title it would be buried and off the first page within a couple of hours after getting posted. It was for that reason only that this area was set up.
Matt:
If you write up a review on a title that is available in area regions then why not post it in the Software area AND the Regional DVD area? If you write about a title that is coming out in Region 1 there is no reason to fear it getting tranferred to the Regional DVD area. If you write a review of a title that is only going to be available in Region 2, etc. only and not in Region 1 then I would put it in the Regional DVD area.
Parker

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Parker,
The review will be on the following incarnations...
Brand new Region 2 DVD,
Region 0 DVD (which is available in the U.S. via Tai Seng),
Japanese laserdisc,
Hong Kong VHS,
U.S. VHS (multiple editions),
and the New Line Cinema laserdisc.
Matt
patriot.gif

------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Users who are viewing this thread