what do you think of this PSB config

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeAlletto, Apr 22, 2002.

1. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Ok, so I'm shopping for new speakers and a new receiver. I'm thinking of the following:

Image 5T for the mains

9C for the center

and either a pair of 10S for the surrounds or a pair of 2B for surrounds. Can't decide on that end.

Running it will be a Sony STRDA5ES receiver. I'll also be getting a new subwoofer eventually, but I'm going to wait and see if the one I've got is ok for the time being.

So what do you all think? I am also looking at Phase Technology and Acoustic Research, but currently I'm siding toward the PSB's. Anyone running the above setup?

2. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

My setup is 6T fronts and 9C center with 2B surrounds and a Mirage BPS-400 subwoofer. I actually wouldn't be surprised if I was happy with 3LR's up front with an 8C center and 1B surrounds, but I choose the 6T's because they have the most bass and are also one of the most efficient Image speakers. I listen to music without the subwoofer at times, and this means I want maximum bass and efficiency. So with that in mind, when I got the 6T's, I decided to match the 9C and 2B's
    I would recommend the PSB's because they are efficient and extremely well matched, such as the setup you suggest. nice clean sound good for music and movies also. I don't believe speakers are good for only one, if speakers are good, they are usually good for both, but some speakers can be "ok" for movies but somewhat poor for music. The Image are great for music [​IMG]
    I would say in your case, the configuration is good. In case you are shopping over the internet, make sure to go listen to the speakers first. I love my speakers, but its good to hear them first. You must decide whether the 10S surrounds are the ones for you. I think they make the surround affect a little bit more spacious, while still allowing for some localization as per DTS and Dolby Digital. I might have liked them better myself, but they were a bit pricy.
    Perhaps someone here with the 10S surrounds can comment. I think specifically what you need to know is, do they suit your size of room? I can't remember whether bipolar surrounds are better in small or large rooms. Anybody use those speakers?

3. Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker Second Unit

I also use the 6T's with a 9C, but use the 10S's. My room is large. I've used many different surrounds in a couple of large rooms and the 10S's are by far the best I've used yet. I don't get too much localization but a good spacial effect. If you dig deep and search around you can pick up the 10S's reasonably priced.

I believe you'll be happier with the 6T's over the 5T's. I can't personally verify this but from other's who have owned and heard both, the 6T's are worth the very little extra they will cost.

4. Jeff Brink

Jeff Brink Stunt Coordinator

Mike,
    I've got the 4T's, 8C, 10S's and 1B's with an SVS sub. I am happier than a pig in you know what! Still breaking them all in, but already have a permagrin on my face.[​IMG]
    Listen to them, if you love the sound and the value is there, don't hesitate to snatch them up. I don't think you can go wrong!

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Jeff, thats a good setup. With the 10S surrounds you've matched the drivers all the way around. Must sound pretty smooth [​IMG] You use the 1B's as rear center channel speakers?
    Mike,
    Its a close call between the 6T and 5T's, but I agree, for what its worth, you might as well have the higher efficiency and tad more bass extension. I only wish they were more efficient and went lower. The 7PT's are interesting, but its kinda not sensible to spend all that on the 7PT's if you want to blend the "bottom" end of 14-28 hz with a subwoofer cause you'd waste the amps in the 7PT. Still, I'd be curious to see how they compare for stereo listening. I wonder how come they go deeper just because they have dedicated amps. It seems weird cause I'm not sure if the midrange also does the bass like on the 6T. Maybe thats wrong becayse how could it go lower with less drivers and ports?
    Anyways, you can't go wrong with PSB in my opinion. They sound great [​IMG]