What Do You Think Of This Idea: "The DVD Channel"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Von Pein, Nov 7, 2002.

1. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

We've got cable TV channels devoted to just about everything else in the world (Food, Travel, Weather, Home & Garden, even Golf!) .... why not a "DVD Channel"?
    All DVD buyers could tune in to the "DVD Channel" to get the latest info on current/upcoming releases, get reviews, and hear the latest chatter about DVDs (including Easter Egg revelation).
    Of course, I suppose we already have a pretty good DVD Channel right now...that being this forum. [​IMG]
    But a TV channel devoted to this growing hobby would be great to see.
    Another variant of this could be a Home Theater Channel, devoted to not only DVD, but everything HT related.
    What do ya think? Would you tune in to such programming? (I would. [​IMG])

2. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

That'd be like a channel for alcoholics called "The Vodka Channel" [​IMG]

3. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

[​IMG]
    I'd watch it! [​IMG]

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I'd watch it too... that is when Anna Nicole wasn't on.
    [​IMG]
    I'd say you would have aproximately 31,197 viewers on that channel.

5. Brad_Shifflett

That is what the forum is for, we do not need another cable channel. I would get bored watching it. I like to just read about the newest DVD's online and interact that way.

6. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

There should be a cable channel that shows nothing but DVD menus all day long [​IMG] (I HATE menus that come up before you can play the damn movie, BTW!)

7. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

Before tuning in, I might as well burn my checkbook.

8. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

But if they do a DVD Channel will they chop their heads & feet off with those ugly black bars? [​IMG]
    Actually I think the DVD Channel is a great idea. I'd have it tuned in for most of the day where I work.
    Jay Taylor

9. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

10. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

But just think how many individuals could be educated in the benefits of Widescreen/OAR via a channel like this. [​IMG]
    A perfect opportunity to demonstrate, side-by-side, P&S vs. Widescreen. Be worth it just for that. [​IMG]

11. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I think the idea is great in theory but it would be like PBS or something similar to J6P. Most would pass it over unless they saw something they liked (a certian movie for example). Geeks like us can never have too much technology, it would be even better if it covered the latest Audio/Video gear and reviewed them magazine style.
    But in several years they'd have to change the name to the HD-DVD channel so we'd have to think of a better one. [​IMG]

12. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Why not expand it then to be a Home Theater Channel? You could then encompass movies, technologies, and even air feature films on occasion.
    Hell.. why not expand it to the rest of the house.. and garden.. and call it the Home and Gar... no, wait.
    Actually, an HT channel could be a good idea with all the emerging technologies. And if you can't fill your 24/7 air time, sell some off for Rotozip infomercials or something. [​IMG]

13. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I always thought it would be cool if I could run everything I watch through my VCR, then run the RF Out through the cable/antenna leads so that everyone in the neighboring apartments would have to watch whatever I'm watching! [​IMG]

14. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

I think a Home Theater Channel would be successful enough to stay on cable & satellite but not very popular for non-enthusiasts. It could provide for home theater enthusiasts what TechTV (formerly ZDTV) provides for computer enthusiasts.

It could have 1-hour segments on different subjects similar to the categories found on the HTF. The segments could be repeated periodically like TechTV does in case you missed a program.

Ron & Parker could even have their own segments on the Home Theater Channel! And Jack too..., and, and, and, ...

Jay Taylor

15. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Hmm, how much would it cost to run a short ad on a huge sporting event alot of J6P's watch, say the Superbowl? All of us should chip in like $100, and produce a commercial showing the difference between Pan and Scan and Widescreen and have it air during the superbowl [​IMG]

16. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I think it's a great idea, I'd definently tune in to a home theater channel. The only problem is that if I did that I'd get real lazy.. oh wait, I already am lazy[​IMG] oh well.

17. Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai Screenwriter

I would like this idea very much, but there needs to be another channel before this--one dedicated to film. Now, before you mention HBO or TCM, I mean a channel where original programming about movies are the centerpiece. Sometimes it's just frustrating watching Ebert's show and getting the feeling that he can talk about the movies much more in depth. Two minute reviews just don't do it.

The channel could have panel reviews for current releases, in depth looks in older films, programs for cinematography, editing, film scoring, profiles, making-ofs, discussions of film books, etc. There are just too many possibilities.