What do you think of these two recievers?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Tim Milligan, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Tim Milligan

Tim Milligan Extra

I am looking to get a new reciever and I have narrowed it down these two:

Sony STR-DE997B
    Denon AVR-2105

I noticed the Denon has more preamp out puts and the sony puts out a little more power. Is there anything I should know about these two recievers that may sway my decision big time? Also what others in this price range can you recommend?

Thanks

2. Yung

Yung Stunt Coordinator

Tim,

I haven't listened to either of the above two receivers so I can't comment on them. I have heard Denon's bigger brothers, the AVR-2805 and 3805 and found them to be pretty nice. I am not sure the 2105 is in the same class though.

What is your price range? The MSRP for the AVR-2105 is about $650. You can look into the Pioneer VSX-1014TX which can be found for under $500 or look into the Onkyo TX-NR801 which is being closed out at Onecall for about the same as the retail price on the Denon you are looking at. The only thing with the Onkyo TX-NR801 is that it doesn't have PLIIx if thats important to you because it is last year's model

3. Tim Milligan

Tim Milligan Extra

My budget is around 400-500 dollars, I need one that can put out some pretty decent power as I will be powering my speakers off of it. Also I would like the upgradability of preamp outputs for the future but its not totally needed.

Thanks for the other suggestions, the thing I liked about the sony is you seem to get alot of features for a lower price. Is this because quality is lower?

Thanks

4. Tim Milligan

Tim Milligan Extra

I sure do like the Onkyo, but it is a little out of my budget. Like I said, I am looking for one around 400-500 dollars. Also does anyone have luck with ebay? Or are most of the companies on there bogus?

5. Tim Milligan

Tim Milligan Extra

What do your guys think of this reciever? It seems to have everything I need for a good price, I can't find it in stock anywhere though. Maybe its not out yet...

Pioneer VSX1014TXK

6. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

New model, and is supposed to be a debadged Pioneer ELITE unit.

Great value

B

7. Yung

Yung Stunt Coordinator

Tim,

THe Pioneer VSX-1014TX is one of my recommended receivers. This unit is practically the same as the Elite VSX-52TX minus a few features like 12V trigger, and analog outputs for multi-room, and it is not multi-source like the 52TX. For some reason, Pioneer took it off their website, but the info is still available on Pioneer's Canadian website.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/pna...245049,00.html

More info on the 1014TX can be found on these threads.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=197358

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=445848

Its definitely worth a serious consideration for your price range.

The 1014TX can be found on various authorized online dealers like Vann's, 4electronicwarehouse, J&R and B&H Photo Video and Onecall as well as BB. Onecall and BB are backordered right now though.

8. Tim Milligan

Tim Milligan Extra

Is avdeals.com authorized? I found it on that site... I think I will end up getting the Pioneer receiver, seems like a great value.

9. Yung

Yung Stunt Coordinator

10. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

I think the Panny SA-XR50 is the best little receiver out there for under $800. However, if this is not appealing, the Pioneer 1014 is an absolute steal! This is a $1000 receiver. I would jump at the chance to pick one up if I were not saving for a projector.

11. DanJV

DanJV Extra

If I'm steadfast on the $250-$300 pricepoint, the Panasonic would get my nod as those little digi amps are causing quite a stir.

If you can move up the ladder to the $400 price point, then you'd be hard pressed to beat the Pioneer 1014.

As you can tell, neither the Sony, nor the Denon would be on that list.

12. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

to throw a few more options out the Yamaha HTR5760 or even the HTR 5790 could be a possibility. Both are available from www.jr.com for around the 400 - 500 price range. There are been a ton of positive feedback on them over the past months. just do a search here at HTF.

13. Tim Milligan

Tim Milligan Extra

Well after looking at the yamahas and comparing the other companies I am going to go with the pioneer. I found one for around 400 shipped through pricegrabber and it seems like a great deal.

Thanks alot for all the help

14. Yung

Yung Stunt Coordinator

Good going Tim. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

15. Tim Milligan

Tim Milligan Extra

Thanks alot for your help in both threads Yung.

16. Yung

Yung Stunt Coordinator

No problem Tim. Thats what these forums are about for people to help each other out. Give a report back when you have your system set up.

17. Yanki

Yanki Auditioning

Man, stay away from the Sony. I had purchased the DE897 and was totally disappointed by it. I have a Pioneer Dolby Digital receiver which is now about 10 years old. It is a 5.1 at 100W * 5.

The Sony was rated at 110W * 7.

The sound that it produced was too flat. Nothing natural about it, not to mention that the volume level went from 0 to 72 which is the MAX. I had to listen to movies and concerts at 69 just to even get it at an enjoyable level. The damn thing was quiet as a whisper up until you hit about 30.

I have all top notch cabling, and have Athena speakers which have served me well with my Pioneer.

For comparison, I connected the Pioneer back and I didn't even have to go more than half way on the volume before I already surpassed the 69 level on the Sony. Not to mention the sound was more natural.

So needless to say, I have returned it today and have my eyes on the Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K which is also a 7.1 receiver. I will be picking one up tomorrow and will put it through its paces. If I'm happy, I will keep it.