What do you think of the upcoming Harry Potter DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Oscar, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Oscar

Oscar Second Unit

In my opinion will be (or already is) one of the most dissapointing DVDs ever.

I was expecting documentaries,audio commentary, talk show clips, outtakes, videos of auditions.

But instead we got interactive game crap for kiddies.

Warner Bros. should understand that the reason why Harry Potter is so popular is also because adults like both the movie and the books.

So far Shrek is the only DVD to do justice to both kids and adults.

This was a real letdown for me, a really big one.

But on the bright side there are deleted scenes, an interview and trailers, but nothing else for many of my fellow movie buffs, and also we can expect great audio and video.

But lets cross our fingers for WB to let Criterion release their edition of the DVD (i mean they released Armageddon as a criterion disc, i dont see why not HP)

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

The disc will be available OAR right? I'm happy.

3. Oscar

Oscar Second Unit

Well yeah, in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio, but i thought that it was 1.85:1, 2.35 is way too much for a movie like that, well ok

4. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill

5. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

6. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean

7. Jeremiah W

Jeremiah W Stunt Coordinator

8. Oscar

Oscar Second Unit

No,no,no,no.
    I just think its very rare for a family film to be in that aspect ratio, i dont support Pan and Scan, never have, never will.
    And i remember some WB titles that have been on DVD from Criterion, but i dont remember.
    Anyways shame on WB[​IMG]

9. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

10. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

No shame should be placed on a studio that offers a quality transfer (both visually and audibly) of a movie and presents it in it's original aspect ratio.
    DVD is not about extra features. It is about quality and accuracy of the presentation. Anything beyond that is a bonus. The movie matters more than all else.
    /Jeff

11. Oscar

Oscar Second Unit

I get your point, but DVD is an expression point for directors to show how they made the movie and everything, and i am pretty sure that many of you as me, support DVHS which will be a movie only format, but i personally prefer DVD, why? its made for strong movie fans, that is why DVD is so loved, and WB is pulling off an insult to movie fans everywhere, in fact to HP fans, i agree, but i also disagree with you, Jeff

12. Oscar

Oscar Second Unit

Sorry about the DVHS thing, i just needed to say it, i know its off of topic, sorry

13. Richard Waller

Richard Waller Second Unit

I wish WB had followed Disney's format of releasing a single disc for kids and a 2-disc set for collectors (similar to the DVD releases of Dinosaur, Tarzan and Atlantis). Maybe when the next movie gets released, we'll get a Harry Potter Revisited disc with more making-of features.

14. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I think I won't be getting this DVD.
    I really could care less about the series and I've seen what I want from the MAD parodies. [​IMG]
    Also, Harry Potter was shot on Super-35, so 2:1 would be the narrowest the image could be (given the effects were done at 2:1, which is very likely) without cropping. Still, 2.35:1 is the intended matted ratio, so unless the director or cinematographer wants it to be seen otherwise, it's the OAR of the film.

15. John_McKittrick

John_McKittrick Stunt Coordinator

You must be joking right?? I can think of plenty bare-bones releases that make this look like the next TPM disc.

While these are all fine and dandy I only see these as 'one time' features. Honestly, do you watch the movie over and over with the commentary or just the movie? How many times do you actually need to see 'talk show clips'? I understand the necessity of them being there. But seriously, we need something fresh and this is Warner's opportunity to do just that.

Amen

Don't judge it until you've seen it. I think we'll all be most pleased with the release, especially if you're a fan of the series and books.

John

16. Oscar

Oscar Second Unit

Ok, that was what i was going to say, i admit that WB is doing something fresh, but it will please rather big kiddie fans of the book, i just like em, i think they are excellent, but i am not a big fan, but we can hope that WB announces a better edition, i will buy it, but that wont be until in 20 years!

17. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

18. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Aren't most action, adventure, fantasy, sci-fi films shot in 2:35? I don't see why Harry Potter at this ratio is any different.

19. Oscar

Oscar Second Unit

Ok,ok, i forgot that Jeff i was going to mention it, but the thing is that DVHS is coming soon, and even though is superior to DVD it will not replace it, because they are expensive,but anyways both of us are right,in fact i dont mind movies with no special features, for example i own 3 Superbit titles (Desperado, The Fifth Element and Air Force One) and one old DTS release (Apollo 13), and one DVD with no bonus material (Akira, the first edition),anyways but on May 28th, i will prefer buying A Beautiful Mind over Harry Potter,but i do want the HP DVD it has gone on to become one of my favorite films, and look im 32 years old, but knowing Warner, we can hope on some easter eggs that can take us to the making of the movie, and on great audio and video

20. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I would be upset about the lack of extras that are interesting to me if I was being asked to pay for them. Considering it will be available at fire sale prices in OAR, I have no complaints whatsoever. The fact that most of the extras I don't care for will be on a second disc and will not be stealing bits from the 2-1/2 hour film is that much better.

Regards,