What's new

What do you think of the Punky Brewster Season One announcement? (1 Viewer)

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I was very surprised to read (at http://www.tvshowsondvd.com) that this is not just rumored but confirmed for June 1st. The entire 23-episode first season plus four episodes from the animated series! It will even feature some cast/creator interviews (no Frye, surprisingly, since her frequent involvement in those VH1 specials means she probably has the time on her hands to do something like this).

I scarcely remember what the show was actually about, just that Soleil Moon-Frye was pretty whacked-out looking (she's a cutie today). But that might be enough to get me through the door at an SRP of only $34.98 -- that should probably translate to the $24.99-29.99 range by the time it gets to discount stores!

This is another 'Shout! Factory' production -- the same company that brought us "You Bet Your Life: The Lost Episodes" and will bring us "Freaks & Geeks" next month. This company makes me think of Rhino, with a heavy involvement in music-related product that is now expanding into DVD and now TV DVD's. I'm excited to see what else they've got in store for us in the future.

I think it's safe to crown June as the official '80s Month for TV on DVD. We've now got The Dukes of Hazzard, The A-Team, Who's the Boss? & Punky Brewster!

Greg Madsen

Second Unit
I'll buy it in a second. I had no idea that this aired two additional seasons in syndication after the two on NBC.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I am not a fan. And I am glad for the fans of the show that this is coming. But, it kills me that their are so many other more popular shows that are nowhere to be found.

ps-On a side note. I saw Soleil today (before the breast reduction & after) and she was looking good. ;)

Sean.S

Stunt Coordinator
Would be a blind buy for me. I've heard its funny and have seen clips on VH-1's SuperSecret TV Formulas and I Love the 80s. Great price too.

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
I can remember racing home after school to watch this! I haven't seen it in almost 15 years, but I'll be the first person in line to pick it up come June.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I most definitely will buy this show! I'm so excited for it! And especially that four episodes of the animated series will be included.

I don't usually purchase TV DVDs (with the exception of Will and Grace and Simpsons) but I will definitely buy this.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
I will be renting it because I dont really remember it...

I remember certain things about it and watching it, but it has been so long since I have seen it...

I do remember the old man, the dog, and Punky... She had that friend skittles or something like that...

I do remember the episode Punky locks herself in the freezer...

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
I vaguely remember the animated series...but not the live-action one. It's nice they're including some eps of the cartoon. :) Aw heck, I'll buy it! We need more 80's shows on DVD.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
If you were 4-8 years old when this aired, you might like it. All others stay far, far away. This show was reviled at the time as one of the lamest TV shows ever.

Blind buy? No!

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens

I thought, it was one of Punky's friends that locked herself in a refrigerator.
Episode came from a write in show contest, and the winner of the contest gave them the idea, from an actual insident.(where kids were locking themselves in refrigerators)
Thats why the time vehicle in Back to the Future, of it being a refrigerator, had to be scrapped.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
It absolutely KILLS me that dreck like this gets released when we have BEGGED for a second and subsequent season releases of a classic like Mary Tyler Moore Show . What the hell is the next announcement gonna be? Blossom ?

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
What was mean spirited? I simply stated that viewers in the target audience would probably enjoy it, while anyone a bit older would likely find it unwatchable.. This is true of lots of shows, including things I loved as a kid.

By all means, buy 20 copies if you want to, and enjoy...

If I had said anyone who buys it is an idiot or something, that would be mean.

Maybe they'll "improve" it by cropping it to a 16X9 ratio....

Gee, I hope SILVER SPOONS is next...

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't disparage the show, or it's release on DVD. Many have complained "why should this come out when this hasn't yet" back to the beginning of DVD. Be aware of this: The release of "Punky Brewster" is not preventing or delaying the release of your favorite show. There has been enough success with TV on DVD thus far that the only negative effect the show could POSSIBLY have is that weak sales would make studios and publishers think twice about season 2 or similar shows.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I just read the episode descriptions of season one at TV Tome. I remember every one of those episodes!

And reading them brought back such great memories! This show was awesome!

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
I remember this being a really good show when I was seven. It was basically a TV version of Annie with an eighties twist. It was a warm and fuzzy show with a good sense of humor.

Mary Tyler Moore isn't on DVD because the people who released over priced the first set, did poor sales, and got cold feet.

That isn't Punky's fault.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks