What do you think of the Def Tech PF15TL+ numbers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob_A, Sep 15, 2001.

1. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

According to TN in S&V: 112.7 dB max SPL at 62Hz, 104 dB average SPL from 25-62 Hz, 88 dB SPL at 20Hz, and -3 dB below 30 Hz.
    Now I'm not saying that this is the end all in subwoofer performance...but is this sub really as poor as some people say it is? For street price probably around 500 dollars it seems to compete ok (particularly above 30Hz), though based on the numbers HSU vtf-2 is the bargain of the bunch in this price range.
    [Edited last by Bob_A on September 15, 2001 at 02:28 AM]

2. Ray R

Ray R Stunt Coordinator

I have the non"+" Def Tech PF15TL, and I think it performs rather well. It can play very loud but it can't quite keep up with fast, double kick drum hits.
    Pay more money and you can get a better sub, but the performance of the PF15TL is about as good as your going to get at $500.
    ------------------
    HT pictures

3. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Any other opinions?

4. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Well,Ihaven't heard this sub ,but based on the TN's notes in S&V,the sub concentrates it's "attention" above the 30hz region.The fact that it's loudest frequency is around 62hz,is a clear sign of that.The HSU would be e better choice in this price range.That sub smokes!
    ------------------
    "You Hungarians always disagree"

5. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

I had the PowerField 1500 for over a year. It was replaced with an SVS 20-39PC. Absolutely no comparison. I never heard (or felt) real bass until I got the SV sub. For that $500 you could probably manage one of the SV subs, and get far better performance.

6. chris larralde

chris larralde Stunt Coordinator

I also replaced a PF15TL+ with a SVS 20-39 and the difference was incredible. The Def Tech had a massive drop in output below 40hz -- the SVS just keeps going.
    chris

7. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

I had the similar PF1500. It was worse than having nothing at all most of the time. Absolutely no deep bass and very muddy/boomy regardless of placement or crossover settings. Only way to cure it was lower the volume so much that you ended up not hearing it.
    ------------------
    My Home Theater Page

8. Kevin_W

Kevin_W Second Unit

I had had the regular 15TL (non + version) in my room and I can say that it is a decent sub... However, it really depends on how much you want to get out of your DVD's. Now granted the majority of movies out now don't have much under 25hz, but the fact still remains that there are plenty that do. Do you want to feel this bass? Is it important to you? If so, I think that you should pass on this sub. Its also odd that DefTech rates this sub to go down to 15hz (which I assume is their measured -3 point) and yet TN measured it at 30hz. And 88db @20hz? Thats far from Dolby specs.
    But, that is my subjective opinion. I too as many have, upgraded to a pair of SVs 20-39 and it was night and day the differences. You'll have to decide what you want in a sub. Let it be noted that many people swear by this sub, and thats great I think because they let their ears decide for them. I just feel that you shouldn't be persuaded by those numbers that Def Tech puts out.
    Good luck,
    Kevin
    [Edited last by Kevin_W on September 16, 2001 at 12:53 AM]

9. John H

John H Second Unit

10. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

I have the 15TL+ and haven't been very impressed by it. I personally have not been satisfied with its performance in the really low frequencies (

11. RayK

RayK Auditioning

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I was speaking with Def Tech technical a few days ago regarding their PF18 subwoofer.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I went to a (the only) local high end audio store in my city and listened to the Def Tech subs. I really wanted to hear the 18" version because the PF15 just didn't seem to have the ouput I wanted, but the rep told me that they are no longer produced/available. He said the last one went out at discount months ago. I wonder if they are replacing it? Did the rep mention this?
    From everything I've read here, the SVS subs seem to be the way to go in my opinion. I'll know soon since a friend has the PF15 and I'll be getting the SVS.

12. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Many people here had been using the older 15 inch model from DT...has anyone actually compared the older model with the new 15TL+ model?
    quote: And 88db @20hz? Thats far from Dolby specs.[/quote]
    Even the SVS 20-39 is "only" 91 db @ 20Hz. You can say this for just about any sub (though with SVS I would think you will get much less rolloff than the DT below 30Hz).
    Some other owners have labelled the DT as "muddy" and "boomy"...why bother to buy it if it's apparently so bad? I have 2000TL's with built in 15in subs and I have found the bass to be very tight and tuneful...though there isn't a ton of output real low. Why would the built in's be tight, and the external be muddy/boomy (could cables, hookup method, and/or placement be the cause)?
    As for -3db point...I believe that the original bp2000's with built in 15in subs were measured by some magazine at -3db at 23Hz...why would this external model not measure this good (actually we were never given the -3db point in the article).
    Certainly SVS seems to be the way to go in general...but just based on the numbers in the article (which didn't seem too shabby) I was just wondering why people are/were so disappointed with their DT 15TL+ subs.
    [Edited last by Bob_A on September 16, 2001 at 10:05 AM]

13. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

I dont have that issue yet, so I can only comment on the data in this thread.
    >>>Even the SVS 20-39 is "only" 91 db @ 20Hz. You can say this for just about any sub (though with SVS I would think you will get much less rolloff than the DT below 30Hz).