What do you think of the Amazon.com Exclusive Limited Edition Kurosawa DVD Set?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kelly W, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Kelly W

Kelly W Second Unit

I could have SWORN that I read about this here, but searches for Kurosawa and Amazon turn up nothing.
    Anyway, I'm curious to know what the general opinion is on this set. Its a very limited run (only 5,000 units) and only available through Amazon.com.
    I am ashamed to admit this (especially around here), but I have never seen a Kurosawa film. Seven Samurai and Rashomon are on my short "to see" list, and judging by what I've read, I expect to be a fan soon.
    That said, do you think that this set is worth the $100 asking price? Are there other versions of these films available? If so, how do they compare?
    In other words, would you buy this set?
    Here is the link and the "Edition Details":
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...883670-2773622

2. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Overpriced and questions regarding quality hang over every Fox Lorber ("Wellspring") release.

No one knows about "RAN", the quality of the transfer and supplements in the upcoming release. That's the $64,000 question. I've adopted a "wait and see" posture (meaning I'm not preordering the box).

We do know about the quality of the other two titles:

"Kurosawa" - even though it was shot hi-def 16x9, Fox Lorber/Wellspring has provided a lackluster, non anamorphic transfer that seems typical of their past (non) commitment to quality.

"Madadayo" - a decent 1.33:1 transfer, but nothing at all to write home about. I liked the film better than most, it seems, but I wouldn't give the DVD a very high recommendation. Definitely worth a rental.

3. Kelly W

Kelly W Second Unit

Thanks for the reply, Rich. Your response confirms my suspicions. I had it preordered for "safety". I guess I'll probably be cancelling it.

That said, does anyone else have any more information? I suppose this is the main problem-- the release is too far away for us to know EXACTLY what's on it. But I'd still like to hear from anyone else with any thoughts on the matter. There haven't been any other Amazon-exclusive DVD releases (of ANY title) in the past, right?

-Kelly