What do you think of Klipsch speakers?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mikel.S, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Mikel.S

Mikel.S Extra

Especially the new Reference Series (like the bookshelf models). I've asked on the Klipsch board but it's pretty obvious what everybody there thinks [​IMG] I was just wondering how they rate compare to other brands. I just bought some RB-35s...

http://www.klipsch.com/images/produc...B-35_large.jpg

Thanks

2. Steve Lucas

Steve Lucas Stunt Coordinator

How someone likes a certain speaker is always dependent upon exactly what you like to hear when you listen to a source, and what you are used to hearing. For instance,
    when I began seriously shopping for equipment for my own HT, I had Klipsch Reference 7's on the top of my list. This was due to thier reputation, name recognition, great reviews and resonable price, especially the reference series. However, when I actually auditioned them, I was suprised to find that I didn't really like them much. It's the horn mids/highs. I think it's an aquired taste. I like my highs to be more sparkling, my midrange more up front. I found the Klipsch to be a little laid back on top. That doesn't mean they aren't great speakers, they just don't reproduce what I've grown to expect from a speaker. Is that wrong? No. It's one person's experience. If you like the kind of sound they produce, then they are wonderful for you.

Steve

3. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I have speakers all over my house, including Klipsch RB-5's, last year's top end bookshelf speakers. A couple of points about Klipsch. Personally, I love them, but they are a speaker that people either love or hate. Speakers are like that - individually liked or disliked due to personal tastes - but this applies to Klipsch more than other speakers because of their bright nature.

Klipsch are about as efficient as any speaker out there. Thus, you don't need nearly as much power to drive them to reference levels as less efficient speakers. However, they are extremely sensitive to what's being fed into them. If you match them up with bright electronics, for instance, it only accentuates their bright nature. Same goes for the listening environment: A bright room with too many mirrors or other hard surfaces won't help.

However, get them set up right with good matching electronics, then you have a very detailed, dynamic speaker.

4. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

Steve said:

This slight difference of opinion shows how much speakers really are a matter of personal preference, as both Steve and Dana stated. Now I'm curious as to what others will reply regarding their experience with Klipsch. Only Best Buy sells them near me, and it is impossible to get any sense of a speaker's sound there.

5. James R. Geib

James R. Geib Stunt Coordinator

I was a Klipsch owner for many, many years from bookshelf models to the Forte II. I still think they are great speakers, but my tastes in sound have changed. I was ready to buy a Reference 7 system, and began shopping other brands in the same price range. I ended up with another brand over the Klipsch.

You just need to audition more than one brand to know what you might prefer! Check out others around the same price point before making a final decision.

James

6. Eric_Strickl

Eric_Strickl Stunt Coordinator

I owned a pair of ksb 2.1s and a ksw 10 for about 4 years and i loved the setup. I have since made quite a few upgrades but the ksb 2.1s will always have a special place in my heart.