What do you think of in-ceiling speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew McGuire, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Matthew McGuire

Matthew McGuire Auditioning

Assuming I have no other choice, what to you think of using a good set of in the ceiling speakers for my mains and my surrounds in a 5.1 setup. The ceiling is 9' and flat. My center channel would be on the TV, about 4-5 from the floor.

2. Matthew McGuire

Matthew McGuire Auditioning

3. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

i personally wont consider in ceiling speakers.

first, i couldnt install them myself.

second, uh, why do i want to put them so high, up there??? i think that would really ruin the imaging.

third, are there lots of choices?

fourth, what if i want to upgrade to a bigger set of speakers, while the installed ceiling could only handle limited size speakers?

4. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I think the in-ceiling speakers would be acceptable for surrounds.
    THX accepts surrounds facing straight up so I assume that surrounds facing straight down would be fine as well.
    The tweeter may be aiming straight down but I'll bet that wall mount speakers have omni-directional tweeters. You could then reflect or direct the tweeters to the listener position.
    I do not suggest ceiling speakers for mains. [​IMG]

5. Warren_Sc

Warren_Sc Second Unit

I use round, in-ceiling speakers as rear channels in my set-up and they work fine. There are times where I think I'd prefer the sound coming from the sides, but if space is a concern AND you're not a perfectionist you'll be fine.

I have B&W 8" rounds with aimable tweeters. If I were to do it again I think I'd settle with 6" rounds. NHT makes a 6" with tri-polar tweeters which you should check out.

Hope this helps,

6. Wayne Murphy

Wayne Murphy Stunt Coordinator

Don't go ceiling mount for the fronts if there is any other way. They will not be aimed correctly for anything..music or movie. They are not nearly as good as a small pair of bookshelf speakers. I have good inwalls throughout my home and they just can't match a pair of speakers in a purposely designed cabinet.

Rears would not be any problem. The diffuse sound field would probably work for you.

7. Alan Levasseur

Alan Levasseur Auditioning

I have the Polk Audio RC80i's speakers in the ceiling and they are used for my surround rear speakers. They sound great and at Brandnamez.com they are a great bargain. They have a adjustable tweeter that you can aim at the walls or the listening area. Stick with Floor or bookshelf for front speakers. Just make sure you install behind you and a little to the side of you listening area.