what do you think of " DDR-SDRAM" ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Stuckey, Feb 2, 2002.

1. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

My new Dell has this.Is it fast?

2. Eric Alderson

Eric Alderson Stunt Coordinator

Yes. And you got a DELL dude!! [​IMG]

3. Nick_Murphy

Nick_Murphy Agent

Put it this way, DDR = "Double Data Rate". So if you're used the the standard SDRAM, all this is, is double clocked SDRAM, so 128 DDR = 256 SDRAM...........yay!!!

4. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

It doesn't quite do that. It doesn't double the "size" of the RAM, it doubles the "speed". But, hell...it doesn't really fully double that either, it's just faster. An example is the fact that SDRAM stands for Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory...the point is the clock speed of the ram is synched up with teh clock speed of the processor's Front Side Bus. Regardless of all that jargon, yes...DDR is better because it's faster than regular SDRAM.

5. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

DDR can write/read on both the upside and the downside of the clock cycle. Therefore it theoretically doubles the clock speed of the RAM, 133=266, 100=200, etc...

6. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

You'll notice a difference if upgrading from SDRAM to DDR if your Dell is a Pentium4. But then again unless you use games and applications that use high memory bandwidths, you probably couldn't tell.
    Another reminder is that RDRAM has better performance than DDR memory so you almost have the best. [​IMG]
    If you can't get your RDRAM up to PC1066 level (133Mhz x 4), you can always change the multiplier.

7. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

But RDRAM has horrible latency.
    Intel isn't switching to DDR just because of the cost difference to the consumer you know.

8. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

It is a P-4 with 256 ram w/40 gb hard drive. I wont be playing games on it. I just wanted something that would last me a few years and if maybee later i wanted to get into games or what ever else, i can. Dell beat Gateway on every level, price,feature's, and as soon as I said "gateway" Dell offered me free stuff.