1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

what do you think dose this match?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephan Leuenberger, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Stephan Leuenberger

Stephan Leuenberger Auditioning

I think of getting a Onkyo TX-DS 989 or 787 receiver and a Norh 6.9 Video System - 1 pair Prism 6.9, 1 pair Prism 5.2 and single Prism 4.1
    Do you think this is a good match? I'm new to the home theater and when i spend some money I like to get something right.
    Thanks in advance for you help and advise.
    I live in Europe Switzerland so I have not so much to choose from like in the USA
    ------------------

2. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

I think it is a good match. If you plan on hanging the surrounds, you may want to swap out the 5.2s with either 4.1s or wood 4.0s. That package will also run you $100 less than the other.

3. Tyson

Tyson Stunt Coordinator

I have not heard the 6.9, but I have heard the 5.2 and the 4.1 - both are quite good - the 4.1 has very good clarity & produces dialogue very well. The 5.2 is also very clear, but is quite short. You will need to put them on stands if you want to use them as stands. You may be better off w/ the prism 4.1's as surrounds (again, they are excellent as surrounds - I was watching The Matrix w/the 4.1's as surrounds in my HT today - wow, the bullets where really whizzing by! I was really immersed in the sound of the movie). Mount them a foot or 2 above ear level is best I find. Also, I have to say that the wood work on the prism speakers is quite nice from what I have seen on the 4.1 and 5.2, so I imagine that the 6.9 will also look just as outstanding. Hope this helps. . . .
    ------------------
    "Remember Sammy Jenkins"

4. Stephan Leuenberger

Thanks a lot I think I'll get this setup dose someone know which material they use for the Prism series is it wood or something els? I still need so safe a bit of money before I can order them, but I really think to get some North many people say good stuff about it.
    ------------------

5. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

The Prisms cabinet is made of 3/4" Tropical MDF, covered with 3 mm real teak. The Prism 3.0 is made of real teak.

6. Stephan Leuenberger

thanks a lot for you answer your guys are a great help. New question if I like to hang the speakers and use norh drums which one would be a good mach similar to the prism?
    ------------------

7. Stephan Leuenberger

Thanks a lot you guys really rock. If I like to hang my speakers then I guess Norh Orbs would be better right? what would be a similar mach?
    ------------------

8. Tyson

Tyson Stunt Coordinator

The wood or ceramic 4.0's and the prism 4.1's are the easiest to hang or mount on the wall because they are the lightest speakers nOrh sells. The marble 4.0's weigh about 35 lbs, and can be a bit too much weight for some installations. The ceramic 4.0's will give you the best sound quality of the 3.
    ------------------
    "Remember Sammy Jenkins"

9. Tyson

Tyson Stunt Coordinator

The wood or ceramic 4.0's and the prism 4.1's are the easiest to hang or mount on the wall because they are the lightest speakers nOrh sells. The marble 4.0's weigh about 35 lbs, and can be a bit too much weight for some installations. The prism 4.1's will probably give you the best tonal match to the prism 6.9's.
    ------------------
    "Remember Sammy Jenkins"

10. Stephan Leuenberger

OK so if I get it right you would suggest that I take the 6.9 for front and the 4.1 for center and surrounds right?
    I really hope to save the money soon to order them. I miss to listen to sound from a good system right now I just have small speakers on my pc [​IMG]
    Oh besides dose anybody know if the upgrade for the onkyo TX-DS 989 is now integrated in the models or do I need to buy it separately?
    ------------------