What's new

what do you think about my setup? (1 Viewer)

chaz fifer

Agent
I've been on this forum for a while, and after reading about alot of other members systems, I realize mine may be quite modest. If you have any suggestions as to where i should go from here (read: upgrade) I would really appriciate it

Here goes:

monitor: sony kp-53S65 rear projector

receiver: Denon avr4802

speakers

Front: polk RT1000p

center: polk cs400i

side surrounds: polk fx500i

rear surrounds: polk fx500i (2)

rear subwoofer: polk PSW250

subwoofer: polk PSW1200

dvd player: sony dvp S550D

sattelites: sony sat-T60 (with tivo),

sat-A55, sat-A3 (master bedroom)

vcr's: jvc HR-S3800U,HR-J620U

cd player:sony CDP-CE525 (5 disc)

miscellanious:

sony webtv int w200, canon webtv printer, sony playstation 2, XBOX.

So, what do you think? am I going in the right direction? I plan on upgrading the tv to a rear projector widescreen HDTV and a HD sattelite this year (wife permitting). Im looking forward to your input.

Thanks,Chaz

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Chaz,

What size room is your system in? How happy are you with the sound for music, for HT? How much do you listen to music, to HT? Is the system calibrated, and in doing so did you come across anything unusual?

Any room treatments (acoustically-speaking)?

Do you have any surge protection / power filtration type devices?

chaz fifer

Agent
I am extremely pleased wth both HT and music! I use my system 80% HT, 20% music. I have 3 monster power conditioners (surge protecters) connected to the components. All channels are calibrated to 75db with the exception of the subs (The powered mains are calibrated to 69db each, the rear sub at 72db, the main sub is 75db.)

I have not acoustically treated the room yet,but plan to add bass traps in the front corners. Also, the dimensions of the room are 28x14x8.

It was difficult to get the subs ll set properly, but after ALOT of reading, I finally got them sounding their best and properly setup.

Thanks,Chaz

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
chaz can i visit your "museum" of home theaterness sometime I live in Toledo don't know how far kettering is but couldn't be too far - I hav ea beginner's setup and want to hear where I can go in the medium of hometheater audio.

-ELmO

chaz fifer

Agent
elMalloc,

Sure,drop me an e-mail and we can figure out a good time to stop by.Kettering is in Dayton, so it's probably a couple of hours away.Let me know.

Also, what kind of hardware do you own?

Thanks,Chaz

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
chaz,
I'm down here in Middletown. I have been in the upgrade mode for a few months now. Just upgraded to a Paradigm PW-2200 sub to go along with my Monitor 7's (front), Monitor 3's (rear), and CC-350 (center). I should receive delivery of a used Carver AV-705X 5 channel amp via UPS today!! I am going to biamp the fronts with 4 of the 5 amp's channels. The fifth will power the center. My Pioneer Elite VSX-09TX receiver will power the rears. I have a 40" Mits direct view TV.
My room is 20' X 24', and has been treated with Sonex acoustic panels. The room treatment was a good improvement to overall sound-stage and localization.
I'd really like to see/hear you setup, and would be proud to let you experience mine. Drop me a line!:)

chaz fifer

Agent
Alan,

Sent an e-mail.I look forward to checking out your system. Maybe I can get a few tips from you about acoustical treatments!

Thanks,Chaz

chaz fifer

Agent
any other opinions? Does anyone who owns the Denon avr4802 want to give their opinion on the receiver? good or bad experience/performance with it?

Thanks, Chaz

Alan,

I will get a hold of you by the weekend to set something up.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
HEY!! You other guys in Ohio back off chaz!!! He's my new friend and I found him first!!!lol
smiley_rotflmao.gif

Naw, let me quit foolen around. So Chaz your mains are powered? Man....I gotta hurry up and come to hear you system dude!! And you a HT installer? I bet you can give me some priceless advice.....oh man I feel all warm inside :b

David Judah

Screenwriter
It looks good to me. The HDTV and a progressive scan DVD player would be an obvious upgrade choice, which you are already considering(you might want to look at DVD players that include DVD-Audio and/or SACD capability or a stand alone SACD player).

You might consider a 3 channel amp to power the front channels, as well, and let the 4802 handle the rears, but I'm sure it's a great sounding system as is.

It's a peculiar thing about this hobby--no matter what level of equipment we attain, it seems like we always want a little more.

DJ

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Chaz, LaMarcus, my buddy Kevin, and anyone else in southwest Ohio, we need to have a mini HT meet.
I am really excited about my last 3 upgrades!! About a month ago, I upgraded to a Paradigm PW-2200 sub. And just this last week, I added a Carver AV-705X 5 channel amp and Monster HTS5000 power conditioner to my system. I never thought my Paradigm Monitor 7's could sound so good.
Kevin and a few other friends were over at the house Saturday evening and seemed very impressed with the improvements I've made!
LaMarcus, you and your new friend, Chaz, are welcome to Middletown anytime. Drop me a line. We can visit each others set-ups, maybe get some good ideas from each other!!;)

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Hey that's cool with me man. You really read my mind with the Ohio HT meet. I was thinking that we (HTF members)needed a Ohio chapter or something, get together and view new material, do sound test, tweak each others equipment learn new ideas, you name it. Man this is great, I was starting to think I was the only one out here with a passion for this stuff.
Well after I connect with Chaz I'll see if he wants to make the trip down there one day or vice versa. I think a great day for all of us to get together would be the star wars ep.II opening weekend in Cincinnati. I say Cincinnati because that's the only theater in Ohio that will be showing a completely digital viewing of the movie.
Now if it's has thx specs, I don't think so, but it is complying with george lucas' wishes of being shown completely digital.:emoji_thumbsup: And as I hear it he (Lucas) said no more star wars movies will be sent to any theater that doesnt have what this particular theater has.:thumbsdown:
So that's a suggestion from me to kinda get the ball rolling. But yes I am open to meeting other members.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Chaz, LaMarcus,

I just fixed my e-mail address in my profile. I thought I had updated it, sorry. Drop me a line.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
That ain't a modest system, in fact it's pretty sweet.

A Sony HD Widescreen would eliminate the Progressive Scan needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks