What do you think about my future audio system?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Antonio_B, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Antonio_B

Antonio_B Stunt Coordinator

Here's the deal,tomorrow i'll be heading to my local audio store to buy a new audio setup.
    But I would like to take your suggestions first.

-Sony Str-DA4ES (Receiver)
    -Paradigm Monitor 11 (Mains)
    -Paradigm Monitor 5 (Surround)
    -Paradigm CC-370 (center channel)
    -Paradigm PW-2200 (Sub-Woofer)

Tell me if i'm doing the right choices.

2. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

speakers are nice, but i would reconsider the receiver maybe? just my opinion...

3. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

That's a pretty big whack of cash and definitely a major purchase. Sounds like fun [​IMG]

I'd listen and scope out alternatives before buying. As usual the typical caveats apply
    - will you upgrade?
    - do you forsee yourself upgrading?
    - are you upgrading already?

(the answer is most probably yes!) ... so don't be afraid to spend the same amount of money on fewer high quality components.

The DA4ES is an outdated model, so you should be able to squeeze some points off that one at least.

4. Jon W.

Jon W. Stunt Coordinator

Sony just isn't an option as far as receivers in my opinion. I would suggest Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Harmon Kardon, maybe even Pioneer. Something about Sony receivers I just don't like and I think a few more people here feel the same. Then again it could be just my warped head.

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I agree on the reservations about Sony receivers, even in the ES line.

Since you're in Canada, I think Paradigm is an excellent choice, and my usual recommendation to switch the sub for SVS doesn't hold as much, because you get a great deal on the digm sub, which is an excellent sub.

However, I (personally) would prefer the studio series over the monitors, by downgrading the rears (5s are unnecessary for the rears, mini-monitors or ADP are better choices). IMO, smaller speakers from the studio series would be better, especially w/regards to music. With the same amount of money, you might achieve the same setup with different speakers from paradigm, for overall better enjoyment, especially with music.

I do keep very high marks for the monitor series, as a previous owner.

6. Antonio_B

Do you have an idea about which receiver I should be getting instead of the 4ES? (but in the same league)

Oh and Chris,you said if i put the monitor 5 for the rears,it would be unnecessary.Can you ellaborate more on that point?

I don't think i'll be upgrading anytime soon(and that's before even hearing the system).

Would you think an SVS would sound better than the PW-2200?
    (tighter and deeper bass)?

Oh and by the way this is my first ever audio setup.

Yesterday i went to Future Shop and one of the sellers wanted to show me what Harmon/Kardon sounds like connected to Polk Audio Speakers + a Velodyne 15" Sub.
    The DVD demo was "Independance Day"(the special edition I guess).Ok seriously, i wasn't really impressed by the sound;it was just loud but the sound quality I was looking for was just not there(i tought it would sound more "theater-like").

So i wouldn't want my setup to sound like that for all the money that i'm planning to invest in it.
    And just wanted to tell you that i've never heard any of the speakers I want to get.
    I based my judgement on all the reviews that i read here.

Thanks for the input,

7. Eddie Horton

Eddie Horton Stunt Coordinator

From what you have posted, I would recommend doing more listening before laying down that amount of cash. Take your time.

8. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Is this for a HT or for a dedicated 5.1 SACD/DVDA system? If its a music-only system, I'd go with Monitor 11's all way-round.

And in either case you'll probably want a heftier amp for those speakers (don't want to damage your new speakers do you?). Swing over to Outlaw and pick up a 200 x 5 multi-channel amp.

Also, since this is the HTF, I'm going to suggest a SVS PB2+ subwoofer [​IMG]

9. craig_curtis

craig_curtis Stunt Coordinator

Craig
    I have the lower end paradigm speakers (titans) and love them. I'm upgrading to mini-monitors as soon as I get the dough. I agree about the receiver... I have a denon and ***LOVE IT*** - the sound is much better than my old kenwood. I know a few people that have had Sony products (receivers) and they just don't hold up as well...

10. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Antonio: in the US, SVS is a better deal than the digm subs (which are still excellent subs). In canada, it's probably more even, because you guys get even better prices on digm than here, and may have to pay duties on shipping an SVS. The pw2200 will be very much in line with a PCi sub, just in the states the SVS is a lot cheaper, in canada it'll probably be roughly even. Your choice, you may get a decent packaged discount if you get the whole digm package though.

I assumed this would be a HT setup, with some 2-channel listening, so I tend to forget about multichannel music, so in that situation, having a lot of good bass capability for the rears is usually unnecessary, and better spent elsewhere, since they will be set to small to let the sub to the bass workout with HT.

I would also strongly recommend you spend a lot of time with speakers in this pricerange to make your own choice. Everyone has different preferences, and you may very well settle in on paradigm (in some configuration), but you also may settle on something else that you prefer. Extensive in-person listening is the only way to make the best choice, IMO. I expected, through reviews, to prefer B&Ws (which are pricer, btw), but ended up getting paradigm as I liked them better. So go audition, and coupled with good ideas from the forum, you'll get the best for you!

11. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Thing is you haven't told us what kind of prices you're getting on these pieces. If you told us that we would better be able to say yes or no and if no, recommend something else that would cost the same but be better.

12. Frank Lee

Frank Lee Stunt Coordinator

I have
    Monitor 7s
    CC370
    ADP370
    an old Yamaha center channel for 6.1 rear and
    SVS 20-39PCi
    Hooked up to a Yamaha HTR-5590.

It sounds great. What ever sounds good to you is what you should get, but I would suggest auditioning a Yamaha reciever. The ADPs really give a nice none directional sound on the sides. I have a fairly large room and I feel that the 6.1 rear speaker really fills in the gap that the ADPs leave in the back. I looked at paradigm subs, but ended up going with the SVS. It would proabably be cheaper for you to get a 'Digm since you are in Canada. Good luck with your purchase.

13. Antonio_B

Alright,i just came from the store and they actually made me audition some Paradigm Speakers.

First of all,one of the salesmen told me that my setup was somehow unbalanced.He told me that it was unnecessary to get the 11's when you already have a sub-woofer that will take care of the low frequencies and that if you combine both(11's and PW-2200) it will cancel the result.

So he suggested me to get Monitor 5's for the front and 5's for the surround so that they all carry the same kind of sound(not to have more bass coming from the front which will make the surround sound weak).

Now for the auditioning part,i heard the monitor 5's powered by a Denon receiver and a Yamaha receiver.
    I found the Yamaha to be kinda bright for my taste,while the Denon sounded more natural to my ears.

But in both cases,the Monitor 5's did an excellent job by throwing a clean and crisp sound.

I wanted to hear the 11's but apparently they didn't have them in the demo room.The 9's were already pretty huge in size.

Now it looks like i won't be getting a 4ES because it's no longer sold(looks like a dicontinued model).Instead he suggested me to get the Denon 3805 which stand in the same league on a sound quality level.By the way do you guys have an idea how does the 3805 sound?

Oh by the way,all the receivers i heard were low-end models.

Now i'm lucky they have the option to pay for 36 months(equal payment/no interest) but still have to wait for their answer(checking credit cards,etc).
    So i'll probably get a call from them this week and if everything is okay I should be buying my setup this saturday.

14. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I agree with the salesman that going to the 11s (pun intended) is somewhat unnecessary. however, I still strongly urge to you try to listen to the studio series as well, as well as I think he is quite wrong in recommending 5s for the rears too. You could get mini monitors for the rears, and spend that money on say studio 20s or 40s and a 470 center channel. Better fronts can be important.