What do you say when.....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Br, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

Now that I am into Audio like I am and have put together a decent system(still pretty low end), but it ended up getting me into a difficult situation. I whent to a buddies house to play cards and we start to put in some music on his HT, which consisted of Bose cubes and his new upgrade of a Acoustic Research sub. I had never been there before so I was hearing the system for the first time. We started talking and I showed him some things he could do to get his system working better(calibrate, set speakers to small,etc). He knew I was pretty knowledgable so he is like, how does this sound? What the heck do you say when someone asks you how their new system sounds and it sounds like crap. Do you just go it sounds ok. I have never heard of AR subs but it was the worst sounding sub off all time. I don't even need to talk about the Bose.

I just kind of felt bad and made me realize whats in my house! I just told him you have to start somewhere and its nice to have people interested in HT.

2. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

You need to start playing cards at your house. [​IMG]

3. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

It might be best to just direct him to the HTF to gain knowledge.You might say to Punch in Bose in the search function and see what he could learn about his system.You then could be a innocent friend.

4. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

I usually start dancing around the issue. I tell people that it's all relative and that if they are happy with their stuff, then that's all that really matters. I then proceed to encourage them to go out and listen to some other types and brands of equipment. I explain that certain companies dominate certain markets and they might be surprised at what is out there from companies they never heard of.
    Sometimes they'll know what I'm getting at and will ask/state...."So your sayin my stuff sounds like s%$t, huh? [​IMG]

5. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

Greg,

I've been in this situation before!

If the situation arises, and I think a friend's system actually sounds/looks like crap (I have more problems with friend's uncalibrated TVs), I try to avoid making any critique.

If they KNOW it sounds like crap I will talk to them about it and help them out. But if they are happy with the sound of their crap system, why say anything?

6. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

The hardest thing to hear was he just bought the Acoustic Research sub as an upgrade and from Crutchfield no less, I was afraid to ask what he paid, but I checked on the website and it was $300, ouch, another hundred and he could have had a Rava from Adire or a used 25-31pc.

7. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

I think Crutchfield has a return policy if you really want to suggest that his sub could be better. Can you have him try yours and hear the difference?

8. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

GregBR,
    Before you trash the AR Sub why don't you calibrate and
    position it for him?
    But even with Calibration and Positioning that sub he got
    is from the LOWEST line that AR makes for "mass market"
    stores (except your buddy overpaid big time buying from
    Crutchfield)
    If he wanted a good AR Sub he would have spent the money
    and purchased an ARS300 or ARS500, but then again I am
    guessing he doesn't even know who AR is, considering he
    owns Bose.
    [​IMG]
    P.S
    Check out the reviews of the AR Subs at www.audioreview.com
    he either has the PS110 or PS112.

9. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Ignorance is bliss :p)

10. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

Brett

I know nothing about the sub, and it was not calibrated, but was positioned in the corner. AR may have some nice subs but this 15" sub was crap, regardless of calibration it would not have helped much, my old PB12 sounded much better than this sub. I am sure the sub would have sounded slightly better with proper setup but it was not going to turn a frog into a prince.

Thats what I meant bye making me sick when I heard crutchfield, he has had it for a few months so he is stuck with it. Its unfortunate, it was the worst sounding sub I have ever heard.

Phil,

If he came over and heard my dual svs subs it would only make him want a better sub, just would not be good for the mind or the wallet.

11. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

I am not sure what the "exact" going price is for that

particular sub but I am sure it's one of the Performance

Series subs and not the ARS500 (Hi Res Line) he probably

could have picked the sub up off ebay for less than $200.00.

Yikes that's smarts....

I personaly am not a big fan of AR's Performance Series and

I wish they would just stick with the HiRes and Phantom lines

because the "lower quality" gear will give the top of the

line stuff a bad name too.... Sorta why Polk is trying to

distance themselves from the BB CC "image" with the LSi line.

12. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

This is the sub your friend has..
    [​IMG]
    and this is the sub he "should" have got...
    [​IMG]

13. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

This is the sub i have...
    [​IMG] ...
    This is the one i should have got...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I'm amazed you can't simply state the truth (and then add "imho" type of remark). I hate to say it but really what kind of a friend would not be honest about things that are really statements of opinions based on taste (you should hear the comments that are traded among my friends and I from our respective audio systems, cars {they crack at my Metro}, and women).
    The bose system is horrible compared to anything in it's price range that I've heard but I can't honestly make a statement about this particular sub (but you might want to tell him to stuff it, with fiberglass/polyfill that is )[​IMG]. Another option if the box is sturdy is to maybe even suggest replacing the driver as well (most budget subs lack in the three main areas: box, driver, and amp qualities). My final suggestion also is to spike the sub since most budget subs lack spikes and most likely it's on a carpetted surface.

15. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

Robert,

You are right. and I usually would do this but I know the guy as a card buddy, I would not say he is someone I share my opinions with all the time, and I did not want to come off as some showboat with a great system compared to his. I did tell him Bose are alright but for the money there are much better speakers, he agreed but said he got sucked up with a cute store demo. I really did not think of Polyfill, I was not sure what could have been done, the base so muted and rolled of around 35 to 40 hertz.

Greg

16. Richard Greene

Richard Greene Stunt Coordinator

If the sound is bad, say this:

"It sounds okay"

(This is the only thing you could say that won't annoy a person who asks for an opinion on their (lousy) stereo.)

If the sound is really bad, say this:

"Could you turn down the volume, I have a headache today"

A boomy subwoofer is usually due to the room.

In some rooms a corner position can be boomy with any

subwoofer, whether cheap or expensive. Some cheap subwoofers are designed to be boomy in the 50-100Hz. octave (high Qtc design) so you don't notice the excessive bass roll-off below 50Hz.

17. John_VI

John_VI Second Unit

Man, that's too bad, Greg. I had a similar experience about a month ago when a golfing buddy said that he was considering buying a Bose system. He said that he heard the in-store demo where they have the cubes hidden behind the grills for bigger speakers. Like in your case, I really don't consider the guy a close friend, so I didn't want to scream "BOSE SUCKS" at him like a maniac. But I did suggest that, since he has not yet made a purchase, it might be in his best interests to check out some other brands. I mentioned that, while Bose might sound okay, it falls short in several important areas like mid-range reproduction, clean base, etc... Then I told him what I got and what I paid, and suggested that he look around some more.

In your case it's already a done deal. I haven't looked, but I'm sure that Bose sells pretty well on eBay. Maybe you could suggest that he dump his Bose system in favor of something better for about the same amount of money?

18. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I've found that the general rule with stating opinion is: if you aren't asked, then keep it to yourself. If, however, someone asks you for your opinion, give it honestly. If he gets angry at you, it's his own fault. He shouldn't have asked a question he didn't want the answer to. Maybe you're not giving him enough credit: perhaps he really wanted an honest opinion. If he feels bad after you tell him he got ripped off, console him by pointing out that it happens to lots of people. Maybe he could get a refund and spend that money on a better sound system.

19. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i always give this disclaimer before i give an opinion on anything:
    "If it sounds good to you, then that is all that matters."
    then, i let them have it. [​IMG]
    i usually don't offer it up unless they ask though.

20. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I usually help people make the best out of what they have (unless it was calibrated properly, it can almost always sound better), and then tell them to talk to me when they're thinking about getting new stuff.