What's new

What do you recommend for a $250 DVD player? (1 Viewer)

Joe

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for a DVD player with great video for a regular 35' tube tv. Not worryied about DVD-A or SACD at all. Any recommendations for around the $250 mark? Thank you.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If you can up your budget to $290 you can pick up a Panasonic RP91 from www.newegg.com . If not, I'd look at the RP62 and CP72 which are on clearance at several places. The new XP30 and XP50 are also possibilities in that price range.

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
I have a related question.

Can anyone tell me what chip the XP30 has and what 4:4:4 signal processing is? The XP30 lacks this feature, but Panasonic lists it for other cheaper players on their site.

TomH

Second Unit
Does the RP91 have the chroma bug?

It was hot last year, how is its value against current products?

Thanks
Tom

Peter Loan

Second Unit
Adam, 4:4:4 processing is mainly techno babble. It doesn't make a noticible difference in video quality.

TomH, The RP91 does not have the chroma bug. The picture is a step down from the legendary Panny RP82, but its still one of the better players out there. You'll mostly notice this on incorrectly flagged and TV show dvds. BUT, the build quality is a heck of a lot better than most players, it has a coaxial digital output (unlike most other Panasonic players), and it can scale non-anamorphic dvds for 16x9 TVs.

MikeSRC

Second Unit
Also, all the Panny players have 4:4:4 processing, whether it says it or not on the website. The RP-91 was one of the top players in its day. With a 35" direct view set it's unlikely you'll notice any deinterlacing artifacts. Does your TV accept a progressive scan signal?

Joe

Stunt Coordinator
No, I don't believe it(Sony) accepts a progressive signal. It is about 3-4 years old now.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If you have a regular TV, ie. not HD or one of the rare non-HD ones that handle 480p or is 16x9, then you're probably better off just getting one of the cheap, new Panny players for $100-150 depending on what exact features you want. There's not a whole lot of good reasons to spend more for regular/interlaced DVD output unless you're also looking for better sound quality for CD, DVD-A and/or SACD playback.

Barring the desire for better sound and progressive scan output, I'd just save the $$$ and get only what you expect to use for the forseeable future (say 1-2 years) given the state of technological advances, flaws and compromises in all players, etc.

_Man_

Joe

Stunt Coordinator
I have not been following Panasonics dvd player line so I have this question. Is the xp30 a brand new model that has not hit many stores yet? Thanks.

MikeSRC

Second Unit
No, actually it's a recently discontinued model that's hard to find now. The current models are the S35, S55, F65 and F85, which all have the same video performance. There's more than a few threads here about the new Panny players.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks