1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What do you put on your MP3 player - tracks or albums?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by ChristopherG, May 3, 2008.

1. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Bryan
    While I agree that the craftsmanship in making an album is waning (and I do miss it), I'm not sure it's the fault of the "digital revolution". I think it could be equally argued that the "digital revolution" came about partly because album craftsmaship went in the tank. Chicken or egg?

Did the loss of great albums cause people to seek out singles, or did people wanting singles cause the art of album making to decrease. I'd argue the former.

It seems like everything reported regarding the drive towards mp3 singles was the fact that people didn't like buying an entire album when it turned out most of it was crap.

2. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    Of the 2,000 plus tracks I have, most are singles. There are only a few albums that I like to listen to complete. Dark Side of the Moon or Days of Future Past are examples. These album are meant to be listened start to finish. I do have other albums, but they are ripped as singles. I listen in the shuffle mode all the time.

3. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I don't really agree that digital killed the album. All my life, I've been the only one I know to care about albums. If my sister bought a tape single or a CD single with other tracks, she wouldn't have listened to them. I know a lot of people like that. Someone will turn me on to an album, and I'll talk about the great album tracks and they won't know what I'm talking about. Digital has just made it more convenient to ignore the other tracks by never even having them.

4. WillG

WillG Lead Actor

If you like The Moody Blues, and have not done so already, I must recommend that you pick up "To Our Children's Children's Children" That album insists that you to listen from start to finish (especially with good headphones)

5. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    I will have to check that out.

6. WillG

WillG Lead Actor

You won't be sorry. But, the first time you listen to it, don't have the volume cranked up too loud when you start it, especially if you are wearing headphones.

7. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    Thanks for the Darker Projects link, great stuff.

CJ

8. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

Mike
    For anything brand new that I haven't listened to I throw on the entire album to try it out. After a few weeks I remove any of the songs I don't like to make space for new stuff. It's a harsh, cruel world on my iPod.

I've never been an album guy and have always made my own mix tapes, CDs, and now playlists to avoid having to listen to filler.

9. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Same here. Lots of tracks, few if any albums.

10. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    My mp3 automatically creates albums for me and it also lets me choose from a complete alphabetized song list so I guess you could say both.

Never cared for entire albums, either, only 2 or 3 (if i'm lucky) songs on it that I like and the rest I could do without.