What's new

What do you people think the smallest set a home theater sound setup should be on? (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Hey, I think I have the smallest TV/audio equipment on the HTF... I can kind of add up the money my separates cost and compare that to my TV. It's really a joke.
Off the top of my head, my separates system cost me about
$7500 (used, I'm thinking my components new would be over $10k) yet I still run it on a 20" Sony V-series TV. The best 20" TV that Sony made at the time I bought it for about $450. But then again, it's primarily an audio system that I eventually converted into a HT.
You can see my equipment list, except the rear 3-channel is now an Anthem MCA30 since the Parasound died.
I'm happy, the 20" is fine for my bedroom and I can't complain about pixelation from DishNetwork because it's small. My father's Hitachi 53" UDX big screen, the pixelation is horrible, so perhaps it is sometimes better with a smaller screen. I still watch/prefer letterbox and have no complaints about the screen although watching credits are sometimes hard because they are real tiny.
Jay

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Bob I went to work today and your post came to mind many times. I agree 100% and you did a very good job at stating my own thoughts so eloquently.:emoji_thumbsup:

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the response Steve. One of my goals is to get people started with HT WITHOUT spending more for electronics than they spent for their car.
By the way, there is another site dedicated to low-cost HT systems. They do reviews and have a fourm. The site isCheap Home Theater .

GregLee

Stunt Coordinator
Jay said:
Hey, I think I have the smallest TV/audio equipment on the HTF... I can kind of add up the money my separates cost and compare that to my TV. It's really a joke.
Off the top of my head, my separates system cost me about
$7500 (used, I'm thinking my components new would be over $10k) yet I still run it on a 20" Sony V-series TV. The best 20" TV that Sony made at the time I bought it for about $450. But then again, it's primarily an audio system that I eventually converted into a HT.
Jay does not have the smallest equipment on the HTF. My equipment cost was about $750:
  • $476 32" Panasonic SDTV
  • $200 RCA A/V receiver
  • $ 35 old 3-way floor standing speakers from garage sales and used stores
  • (no subwoofer)
I wish I had a subwoofer, but I do get some bass, just not low bass. And I wish my receiver had Dolby PLII. However, I bet my audio sounds better than a typical $400 HTiB.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.