What's new

What do you people think the smallest set a home theater sound setup should be on? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
Hi, I've got the Sony 34 inch Trinitron XBR Widescreen HDTV and I was wondering whether it would be laughable for me to get a nice expensive Bose Home Theater setup with subwoofer and the like. I personally love the picture size and think it is definitely big enough for me as my room is small and I needed something that wouldn't take up too much room and would be easy to transport without worrying about things falling out of alighnment.

But I see you guys talking about nice sound setups with enormous 50-65 inch projection television sets! Do you think it would be sort of silly to get a sound setup with a tv my size?

I had a 27 inch for years and years before getting this 34 inch tv and the only reason I did not get a home theater sound system with the 27 inch is because the tv was just pretty small.

Let me know what you think about me getting a sound system. Thanks! Also, any links to a site dealing with pricing, etc. for sound systems would be greatly appreciated!

Geno

Supporting Actor
Aaron, i think it would be a joke if you got the Bose setup ONLY because you would pay too much for a system that doesnt sound good, comparable to other systems available

most people here do not think highly of bose.

I think you should get a good system, hey Id want that trinitron as my HTtv. but do your reasearch and youll find out Bose aint what they say they are. its all marketing. anyway, thats my 2 cents

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you are happy with the picture size, who cares what anyone else has or says?

I prefer direct view (tube) TVs for their better picture quality.

Jason Reich

Stunt Coordinator
Believe it or not good sound can make your picture seem bigger! The more imersed in the movie you are the less of the suroundings you see. A freind of mine has a 27 inch set with great sound and its amazing, and a 34inch is NOT a small set! You may want to stay away from Bose... You can do allot better for your money, Energy, Definitive, JBL, etc.. make several small speaker systems that cost less and outperform the Bose stuff. Trust me I almost went the Bose path, I am SO glad I did not(I got Definitives).But it is your money, and if it makes you happy thats whats most important!

Gordon K

Auditioning
Aaron,
I have a similar size(32") TV, and, while it does not have the impact of the big screens, I sit fairly close. I HIGHLY recommend a component audio system! You will really enjoy it, I know I do. Browse the forums for a while, you will find it is possible to have a great sounding system for relatively low $. There is a wealth of info here, you can save yourself from making some costly mistakes. Proper selection of high-value components (such as the Sony 12" sub, which I bought on advice gathered here) setup CORRECTLY, will sound great. OK, we are not talking top-of-the-line here, but WAY better than TV speakers alone. I had a non-home theater friend over the other day, and after watching (and listening) for a while he was grinning from ear to ear. Good luck, and have fun!

Joe Wyant

Grip
I only have a 32" vega due to space, but have a decent H.T. system and I am very happy with it. It is my opinion that big sound really seems to make the picture seem much bigger. I went the component route and have personally never heard a Bose system that sounded near as good for the money. Just my experience.

Joe

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Aaron if you buy yourself a sound system, you will find yourself immersed in the sound. You will find it amazing most likely. A 34" trin will work just fine. Many have less. I will say it to-- "The sound will make the picture bigger". It will make the movie bigger. If you were planning on buying bose, you can get a decent system that will serve you well.:emoji_thumbsup:

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
Thanks so much for all of the info. I will definitely make sure to read over all the varying views and post many, many more times before purchasing a H.T. sound system. I plan on spending just as much time looking up info on H.T. systems as I did with my tv, almost a year. I too have been told by several people including a relative that works specifically with selling sound systems that Bose is all marketing and you are paying solely for the Bose name.

I will definitely make sure to do my research and am very thankful for all the help you guys are giving me. I'm very new to the boards, I got this name a few months ago but hadn't posted until today. But I plan on visiting on a daily basis now. I just watched Lord Of The Rings sitting close to the screen with pro mode turned on and the DRC pallette all the way up and the volume turned way up and I was blown away. I can't wait to get a good sound system and watch these movies. Now's definitely a good time to watch tv. Now if only HD would catch on a little bit faster.....

But again, thanks. I love my tv and I can't wait to experience H.T. sound, something I have never in my life experienced except for a few brief fleeting seconds in a room in a speaker store.

I've got another quick question though. Is 6.1 sound worth it now? I was looking online and found a set with 5.1 sound with the possibility to upgrade later for an additional 200 dollars to 6.1 sound. Is it worth it now to get 6.1 sound or would it be pointless at the moment and to upgrade later if there is reason to? Also, I know there is much debate on Dolby Digital vs. DTS and I'm wondering what your thoughts are on it. Dose DTS really have a more open and spacial track if done right?

Thanks for any help!

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Aaron here we go. You have opened up a can of worms? IMO DD and DTS are basically the same. DTS I think is more compressed? You should get some very informed replies. I do like the option of DTS on DVDs very much. I have not herd 6.1 but would like to see how it sounds. I have seen posts go pro and neg in regards to 6.1 If you are looking at a HTIB be very careful. The Onkyo 650 is highly regarded and the Kenwood 505 would be next. Some will say to stay totally away from them. I enjoyed starting out with one. "The right one". Thanks HTF. The upgrade bug will bite regardless of what you buy anyway most likely?

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I think picture quality is just as important as size when it comes to home theater. I'm fully satisfied with my current setup which features a 32" regular television. I would consider a 34" HDTV to be a major upgrade.

MarcVH

Second Unit
Everybody has their own idea about what matters most to making an immersive, compelling home theater environment. For me sound matters more than picture. For a while I actually had a center speaker (Paradigm Studio/CC) which was more expensive (and wider!) than my television (23", though I've since upgraded.)

What seems silly to me is the other way around -- people who will spend over $3,000 on a big HDTV set, but then balk at the idea of spending more than $500 for a receiver and 6 speakers. But, hey, if picture is everything to you and sound isn't that important...

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
my random and completely non-sensical thoughts.

regarding bose: as already stated, there may be better alternatives out there. you need to decide what's important to you. it's true that you will probably pay more than necessary if you go with bose. however, if you do your research and still decide you like bose, then that's good enough.

regarding tv size: i think a 34" is definitely adequate. i'm running 32" myself. an even bigger screen would certainly help increase the ht experience, but you need to decide if audio or visual cues have more of an impact to you. 34" is definitely nothing to balk at though.

regarding 6.1: i've never heard it, but it seems pretty cool. having a dedicated rear-center would certainly add to the audio cues intended by the director. of course, there isn't much 6.1 material out there yet, but it's definitely coming.

Joe Wyant

Grip
I just recently went to 6.1 and I really notice a difference on the DTS-ES discs more than the DD-EX ones. My favorites are Rush Hour 2, Jurrasic Park 3(it is not listed on the back, but my receiver recognized it as DTS-ES 6.1), Gladiator, Cast Away, and Terminator 2. I got my receiver (Sony De-1075) for under $400 and do not regret spending the money to switch to the 6.1.

Joe

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Aaron,
A good starting place is the HTF FAQ.
Does DTS really have a more open and spacial track if done right?
The bit rate of the recording will make a larger difference. For example, a high bitrate encoded DD track will outperform a half bitrate DTS track. Keep in mind that you can't directly compare numbers (DD and DTS bitrates are different). Many people's comparisons between tracks are invalid because they are comparing tracks from two different masters (or encoding rates). A classic example is Saving Private Ryan... the DTS version is taken from a better master.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Aaron: welcome to HTF!

Your TV is fine.

I DO hope you are connected with component video cables to that TV - it can make a difference.

I asked a salesman once about the difference between MUISC speakers and HT speakers. His answer was:

"Music speakers are about accuracy, but HT speakers are about Impact"

This means you can use less-accurate (read "less expensive") speakers and get a great HT system.

A few years ago, a member here went over to his in-laws house where they proudly showed him their new Home Theater in a Box that they had just purchased for $500. He swallowed hard and then proceded to un-pack and install this system. It was the Kenwood HTB-503 package: a receiver, 5 speakers and a external subwoofer.

Now this member knew what he was doing and set the system up. He listened to it. Then he listened to it some more. He excused himself and ran home to listen to his home system which he had spent about $10,000 on. His home system DID sound better -- but not 20 times better.

He shared this experience with us here and it caused a lot of interest. But it proved (and has continued to hold true), that a tone-matched set of speakers and proper setup can create a really great HT experience.

So dont let the display size or $$$ of some of our systems discourage you. (My system was built up with 1 piece each year because that was all I could afford.)

So you can have a great sound system for that TV with say .. a $700 investment in the Kenwood HTB-509 (the replacement for the afore-mentioned 503). This would give you a system that you could invite friends over, pop some corn & beer lids and have a movie-party.

In truth, it's not the size/price of your equipment. It's your love of movies bind us here at HTF. Set your budget and we can help you buy good equipment and set it up.

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
Thanks again for all the help everyone. Seriously, James Brown, I agree with you. Bob, your post was very helpful and imformative. I definitely love movies and am comfortable with my tv after all that has been said. I was honestly looking to spend around 16 or 17 hundred on a home theater system (including the reciever) but that was when I was looking at stuff on the Bose website.

After carefully reading all of the different views and keeping an open mind I can safely say that I WILL NOT even consider purchasing a Bose setup. That being said, I might spend a bit less if I can find good speakers for cheaper but if I can find a good HT setup that is not Bose and is in the 1600-1700 dollar price range total I may go for that.

I will definitely do a lot of looking around, testing, and research on whatever HT setup I eventually do buy. I will make sure to ask you guys for help with setting it up and for choosing the right product.

Everyone has been very helpful and I feel very welcome here (even though I'm only 19).

Thanks!

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
I had my 5.1 audio surround setup for 16 months with a direct view 35." I sit 12' from my set, by the way... I loved it, especially on the DVDs which had better transfers, and great sound. I know of people who have sets as small as 27", and still have invested in terrific quality audio set-ups. They seem happy.

Admittedly, there were films where I felt as if the sound was somehow "bigger" than the picture. I could have probably sat closer, and this feeling would not have come up near as often.

Recently, I did make the leap to a 65". I am certainly glad I did. However, I was also "happy" with my 35" most of the time, for most of the films. It was only on the ones with a lot of "spectacle" where I longed for a bigger image, as I found the sound was so much "bigger," that it was a (minor) distraction. For example, a film such as "Memento" does not require a huge screen. A film like "Seven" would work very well on your 36" monitor. So would "Citizen Kane" and so would "Taxi Driver," or "Raging Bull." However, a film like "Lord of the Rings" will always work better if the "vista" is big. A film like "Lawrence of Arabia" or "The Sound of Music" plays better if the image is "big" (and also is pleasing to the eye, of course).

I would second what others have said about the Bose... it is not that they are the worst stuff out there. It is simply that they tend to be so over-priced, that you can do much better, for the same $$$. Bose does not publish any specs, and this is for a very good reason. Those who have actually tested them have discovered that their specs do not compare with some of the least expensive, generic stuff out there. They have clever marketing, and design their stuff so it "looks good," which means a lot of wives and girlfriends are happy with the design, in the end. However, it does not mean you actually have great sound. And, you can usually achieve great sound for the amount of money they charge.

So, go ahead and set a budget for a receiver, and five speakers, and one subwoofer. OR, perhaps, a receiver, and six speakers, and one subwoofer. Then, do the research, at places like this, and similar forums, and the magazines (you can often find them in the library, for back issues with lots of reviews). Also, you can find web sites where owners post their own thoughts and experiences. Then, go to the store, and listen for yourself. Go to several stores. Compare. Try to listen and get to know a few good CDs (and maybe even DVDs), and bring them along with you. Set all settings on the receivers at neutral. Turn off any fancy bells and whistles. You will find that a lot of the "Home Theater In A Box" stuff is also junk (although there are now a few exceptions).

You may find that the best sound is from buying speakers which are all made by the same brand (so they are timber matched), and a separate receiver, and possibly a powered subwoofer which may or may not be made by the same company which made your speakers.

You will find that you CAN get good sound within your budget (if you were considering ANY of the Bose systems, this is most certainly true).

Once you have any systems or brands in mind, try posting around forums like this, and you are sure to get responses which may help you avoid any "problem" components.

Best of luck,

-Bruce in Chi-Town

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
aaron -
with your budget (1700.00), you should definitely check out the energy take 5.2 system. it's relatively inexpensive (i think under 1k for speakers & sub) and it's won all sorts of HT awards. check out this link:
http://www.energy-speakers.com/take5...rs_system.html
also, check out paradigm speakers. they're also inexpensive, but considered excellent speakers. do a search here and you'll see what others here think of them. they're on my short-list for sure!
http://www.paradigm.com/Website/Comm...ewaboutus.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.