What do you make of this CCR *Chronicle* SACD?

Discussion in 'Music' started by KeithH, Jan 9, 2003.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Someone on Steve Hoffman's forum found a Creedence Clearwater Revival Chronicle SACD being offered by a seller from Hong Kong. Here's a picture:
    [c][​IMG][/c]
    As you may know, Steve Hoffman mastered five of the CCR studio albums for Analogue Productions, but has not done Chronicle. Steve Hoffman and some members of his forum said it is not a legitimate release. Does anyone have this SACD? If you live in Hong Kong, have you seen this SACD? Is it legit?

2. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Spooky!

3. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

I would think it is a fake just due to the fact that no one has heard about the disc, and Steve Hoffman who should be informed of CCR and SACD issues states it is a fake as well.

Could it be possible bootleggers now have access to DSD encoders, and are going to begin passing off SACD mastered from CD as high resolution audio? Hong Kong is notorious for their bootlegged discs.

J

4. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

It's real and legitimate, being offered by a label in Hong Kong called Naxos, licensed from Fantasy.
    Steve Hoffman had nothing to do with it. I'd suspect it sounds like the K2 remasters.
    Go here:
    http://www.naxos.com.hk/
    Click on the box in the left-hand menu with "SACD" in it and you'll see this title listed.
    Ryan

5. Michael St. Clair

So Fantasy sent them multitracks to make surround mixes? Nah, probably horseshit artificial reverb.

6. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

I don't think it's surround, just stereo. The "Multichannel" sticker is probably in error (just like on the Hoffman CCR SACDs).

Ryan

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ryan, thanks for the information. I've heard of Naxos. Now I wonder how this CCR SACD sounds. Perhaps it's a good disc. I wonder.

8. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    My Hong Kong SACD (legitimate) of Los Indios Tabajaras on the RCA label is no better than CD quality. The late 50's content could play into that equation heavily? I'm betting quality standards, across the board, are higher here though, even for bootlegs...[​IMG] I'm gun shy about HK media. The couple of DVD's I got from there were substadard and possibly bootlegs? I really don't know. I thik I'm CCR'ed out for a whilst anyway.
    NP - Beck's SEA CHANGE SACD

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rachael, I am certainly leery about purchasing this CCR SACD. I think I will pass. Besides, I still only have one of the five Hoffman CCR SACDs.

Regarding Beck Sea Change, I read on Audio Asylum that the stereo SACD track is no better than the CD. Have you done the comparison? The surround-sound SACD track, on the other hand, is reported to be very good. How do you like it?

10. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Keith, you know I don't often buy the CD and SACD too. I didn't and won't. I've been doing some analog recording of SACD's and vinyl lately onto MD and CD. The results are just outstanding. All in all, SACD is about as good an analog source as you could ask for. Records are pur-rddy fair too. I'll start a thread about this sometime. I have an MD we could hand around, maybe...?
    I'm not hooked up for M/C SACD right now. I will be again, eventually. Right now I have a theatre without a display. That will be my M/C venue soon I hope. I'm stille fixing up my new home.
    COSMOS FACTORY & WILLIE AND THE POOR BOYS are the pick of the litter. Those are the ones to get. Worry about the others later. I have a Johnny Winter, Best Of, SACD coming. Is this a new release? Hot Buttered Soul is coming home with it too. I got Beck's album locally, down at Busted Buy. Best wshes! [​IMG]

11. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

Well, I took the plunge and finally got one of these discs. I think the Multi-Channel is an error (I'm only getting stereo) and haven't tested the hybrid.

But as for the sound quality, wow! This ranks right up there with some of my best SACDs. I'm very impressed. Listened to a minute or two (before bed, sorry, was tired) of each of the songs, and the recordings are very crisp and clean.

Susie Q and Proud Mary again emit the "CCR are in my bedroom playing these songs" feeling. Very clean and natural sounding. In fact, the clarity is a bit too much as I can easily tell they're in a recording studio (I know, duh!).

But another import I'm happily satisifed with. And I also got the Roxy Music. Very good sounding, but not necessarily one I'd demo with.

12. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Thanks for the review, Brian.

Have to pick this one up on my upcoming trip to HK next month.

13. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

14. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    The big silver lining is that we have evidence of Naxos first Super Audio CDs. This is an incredibly talented label that often hires the respected Tony Faulkner to engineer fine classical performances.
    I look forward to the classical releases. I have heard some of the master tapes and they are excellent.
    [​IMG]

15. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

16. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

The surround version of Sea Change kicks ass!

17. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter