What's new

What do you like/dislike about DVD menus? (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Any menu or menu animation that you cannot immediately navigate through or past is an annoyance to me. This includes FBI warnings.
My second least favorite is when they create a cute name for a menu choice without clearly identifying what it means. I don't mind cute titles for the selections, but they should also include subtitles that explain it plainly.
I am not color blind, but if I were, I would be annoyed by menu selections that are indicated by color changes rather than outlines or other such indicators.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I hate motion menus they are a waste of time. Pre-menu intros, I hate also and are worse then the regular motion menus! I especially hate MM's when they show spoiler info!
I want a fast interface, I don't buy DVDs because they have motion menu's!!!!!!!
------------------
Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation
http://apacure.org/
[Edited last by Norm on August 16, 2001 at 03:14 PM]

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Quick access is foremost, as is easy navigation. I agree that items with only two choices do not need their own menu: languages and subtitles can all go on the same page.
If there is only one extra feature label what it is on the main menu.
I like moving backgrounds, but the best ones loop seamlessly. Audio gets annoying when looped, especially if it doesn't have a proper start and end point (Matrix anyone?).
Menu transitions should be avoided, as should startup things you can't skip. As long as control is granted immediately to play the feature, animination is fine.
Easter eggs are fine, just don't waste a lot of space with them.
Oh yeah, the always onscreen idea - don't go there! If you want to do a White Rabbit feature (Matrix) make it an option.
Thanks for asking. :)
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc
[Edited last by Jeff Ulmer on August 16, 2001 at 04:27 PM]

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
I hate it when you leave the main menu idle for too long and the movie starts automatically by itself. I don't see the point in it. One time with Shakespeare In Love, when I popped in the DVD, I was treated to the usual Buena Vista 30 second FBI warnings. (Like they make a difference) I decided to walk to the kitchen to prepare some sort of snack. By the time I got back to the couch, the movie had already started. *groan*
The FBI warning is too long to sit through, but the menu is too short to goto the bathroom for, even though it's nothing more than a static image.

Raphael

Stunt Coordinator
I hate hate hate long transitional sequences between menu selections. I thought Leon: The Professional was annoying until I got Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.
frown.gif

Make menus, first and foremost, easy to use and quick to access. They could be plain text on a white background for all I care so long as I can get to what I want quickly.
---
Raphael See

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Yes, I agree to you on that Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon menus are pretty annoying to sit through all the time. But another thing that is annoying is ads for other movies before it starts up. It a pain to see something for some unrelated movie or some product that some how ties to the movie(Mystery Science Theater 3000 DVD for Batwoman anyone).
And now I must talk one of the most evil menu torture from Ghostbuster. I DON'T WANT FIFTY VERSION OF THE SAME MENU IN THE ONE PAGE. I know it nice to have links to the other menu everywhere, but it a pain to look a page, and found out it similar to the other menu I went to before.
------------------
gosalyn.gif

Support the DVD release of the Disney Afternoon for her.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks