What's new

What do you like about TV on DVD? (1 Viewer)

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
I rarely post here, but I agree with the sentiment that forums like this are a godsend to those of us who truly love classic TV. For a long time I thought I was the only weirdo who would recreate Nick at Nite lineups with DVDs, or buy a newly-released set and plan an evening around watching some of the shows. I love coming in here and sharing the enthusiasm of other fans who do the same types of things. I also think that many people who prefer staying home with an evening of classic TV to, say, going out to a club or a bar, may be loners by nature, so this is the only place that a bunch of couch potatoes can find fellowship.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Originally Posted by LeoAmes

If I didn't like auto racing like this weekend's upcoming Indianapolis 500, NASCAR's World 600 in Charlotte, and Formula One's Turkish Grand Prix, I'd have no need for it either and would stick to just home video.

Without racing, it would just be an expensive way to view my local forecast on the Weather Channel (A network that has itself seen some decline in quality in recent years like the rest of the airwaves).

I've been a Racing Fan all my life, (My favorate Drivers are Earnheardt, Stewart and Kensith). Unfortunately I've had to give up watching the races. NASCAR calls themselves "Family Entertainment" and they schedule most of their races during the Afternoon or early Evening, when most Families can watch the races together. But this is where the Problem lies. Their Advertisers are anything BUT "Family Friendly" One cannot go 15 minutes without seeing at least one Commercial for an ED Pill or some other "Adult Product". The Advertisers don't care WHO is watching the TV when these kinds of ads are shown, and there is no indicator that they are about to be shown. Therefore I've had no choice but to stop watching their races. Each year I'd purchase Die-Cast Miniature Cars of those who won the Daytona 500, the Coke-Zero 400 and the Sprint Cup, which I'd donate to Children's Charities at Christmastime. This year the Kids will still get Presants, but it won't be NASCAR Toys.

The Weather Channel is a Joke. Three years ago I was in the Seattle area and I wanted to see what the weather forecast was for the area. The Local Forecast only reported currant conditions and the Radar only went out 50 miles. (There were scattered rain showers while I was there) I watched for an hour, wanting to know if the rain was going to pass, or should I be prepared for more wet weather. NOT ONCE did they show the National Map or even the Regional Forecasts. There was a Hurricane in the Caribbean Sea, and that's the only thing they would show. (It hit Mexico a day after I returned home.)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Originally Posted by DaveHof

...I also think that many people who prefer staying home with an evening of classic TV to, say, going out to a club or a bar, may be loners by nature, so this is the only place that a bunch of couch potatoes can find fellowship.
Truer words have never been spoken!

My wife just doesn't understand my "addiction" or why I'd rather stay home and watch on old show on DVD than go somewhere. I'd rather have a meal, no matter how simple, on the TV tray while watching a favorite show/movie than go out to eat. My perfect vacation is a full week to watch TV and movie DVDs uninterrupted by chores, kids, grandkids, relatives, phone calls, or anything else that pulls time away from the viewing schedule. I do this at least once a year and stress to her that I'll not be moved to babysit, work in the yard, go *anywhere* other than Big Lots a couple of times (feeds the cheap DVD addiction) and church. It drives her crazy.

About the only time I now watch commercial TV is when I'm on the computer and even then it's typically The Travel Channel (for Andrew Zimmer and Anthony Bourdain primarily - although "Man vs. Food" is a guilty pleasure), Food Network, Discovery Channel, or History Channel. Even then, those 4 have way too much dross compared to just a couple of years ago.

grah2702

Grip
I hear what most of you are saying and agree 100%.I live in the UK but do not have cable just a system called Freeview which is composed of about 80-90 channels tv and radio.There is probably 5 channels i watch with any regularity but most are shopping channels or channels that repeat ad nausium the same rubbish day in day out,even the BBC is not much of an option.

I have recently retired early and watch tv shows most of my spare time.I collect complete runs of shows of almost any genre.

I usually watch two shows at once alternating a season at a time and am currently watching McLeods Daughter a great Australian series in 8 seasons(i have just finished season 5) and Farscape.

Farscape i am sticking at but finding it a bit heavy going but refusing to give up.

Next up i will be watching Will & Grace and Batwatch.

Of course living in the UK many many of the series are not released on R2 so i have a network of sellers that i purchase the R1 only releases from.

Real Name
Michael
What I like about it is being able to own several episodes of my favorite shows. I prefer season sets over "best of" sets, because it means I don't have to worry about my favorite episodes being ommitted (as long as they do end up releasing every season). I especially like season sets where they actually care about putting in special features (so the DVDs I frequently watch include The Muppet Show, Newhart, The Simpsons, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Greg the Bunny, and others).

Of course "best of" sets can also have an advantage: It's fun to speculate what will or won't be included, and with full season sets we can really only speculate the special features. Of course the only kinds of "best of" releases I really enjoy are Sesame Street and Looney Tunes releases (I know, Looney Tunes wasn't originally a TV show).

One downside to collectible season sets are that I think those are what's contriubuting to many of the best shows from before 2000 being shown on TV infrequently. Maybe I'm wrong, but when older shows have many episodes on DVD, then those with them don't really need to watch them on TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks