What's new

What do you guys use to track your DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
I'm currently writing my own software in Java. I plan to make it available to anyone (Mac, PC, Linux) who wants to use it once it's close to where I want it. I'm also looking into porting it to J2ME (Java 2 Micro Edition) for PDAs and such.

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
I use a PC and Mac(Thank The LawGiver!, I love using more than one OS)

I like DVD profiler better, but am trying DVD Aficionado (Both linked on my sig)

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I sometimes use an Apache Indian named "Looks for a Disc.":) No, seriously though, what are the advantages of using one of these programs. I have just under 400 titles and really don't see the need yet, although if it grows much bigger, I may want to. Do you do this so you won't duplicate titles or in case someone borrows them? Just curious.

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
I thought it would be cool to post them online. I have links on my sig to two sites with a list of my DVDs. I know what I have and can't imagine a time where I forget what I own and need a list to stop myself from buying again. I just like to be able to share what's in my collection with others

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
ChuckSolo
good point here's what I think:

I have just over 300 discs but I always had the need to catalogue them. Dunno why but that's just the way it is.

Secondly it is very useful when browsing the online DVDforums. When you get into a discussion about some films and then you realise that there are some with the same or similar views than yours. You can then check their online dvdlist for little gems that you may not have noticed before. It has happened to me a few times that I bought a disc which I first saw in somebody's collection. That is very useful, even if it leads to more spending.

And I don't know about you but if I'm not sure what film I wanna watch you can look for running times (if your viewing time is limited). Many times when I watch a film I wonder if that actor played in any other of the films I own (maybe even a smaller role or so) and dvdprofiler is very useful for that.
Pus as I said before (well sometime in March) it has those nice statistics you can play with. As I own many dvds from all different regions it is always good to see how many from each I have, or check how many are in widescreen, or how many have DTS.
my most hated feature is the total value of collection. makes me cringe everytime I click on it, as I realise I could have bought a car by now.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I use DVD Profiler and guzzlefish. I like guzzlefish because it will let me track DVD, VHS, CD, and video games and much more and some of the stats you get are nice, but I really like profiler also.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Ed Karlinski wrote:
I also use DVD Profiler. I pity the Mac users.
DVD Profiler is installed on both my laptop PC and my Macintosh power PC G4 desktop. It works great with virtual PC 6 software for Mac. I have over 1,400 DVD titles and keep track of profiler updates with the Mac while I lock my files on the laptop PC so my cover art, that were scanned in high resolution, won't be lost with the regular updates.

Paul

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I use ReaderWare (on Mac OS X). It catalogs books and CDs as well, which for me is equally important as DVDs.

Ted

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
DVD Profiler for me.

Couldn't do without it (over 4000 titles, 2300+ on DVD). I just wish it also handled LDs. For that I use (don't laugh now) Professional File 2.0!

Not a bad deal since
  • I'm no longer accumulating LDs
  • Professional File has a nice Export function for its database that lets me place it elsewhere (like on my handheld).

Hard to teach an old dog new tricks!

:laugh:

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I use DVD Profiler, since it has more in-depth information and statistics than DVDAF. I find that kind of stuff interesting. :)

However, the fact that you can organize your owned titles into subfolders on DVDAF is really nice. If only DVD Profiler could implement this feature in a future version!

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
DVD Profiler is my weapon of choice. I really do need it to keep track of all my DVDs. All 96 of them. That may not sound like a lot to most of you but in my land, people have an average between 10-20 DVDs.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
DVD Profiler is my primary as it's the most flexible, but I use Guzzlefish as well because of its ability to track other formats.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks