What's new

What do you guys think? (1 Viewer)

Bob_Lawrance

Stunt Coordinator
I am thinking of getting the Monitor Silver Series Speakers with the SVS PB12-Plus/2.

Do you think this will be a good combination?

Thanks in advance.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Without knowing anything else more specific (like room size and conditions, specific models of Silvers, etc..), yes it does sound like a nice combo. Sub doesn't need to match the speakers, and SVS is generally a good combination for anything :)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Interesting - an Oilers fan in Edmonton?

Back to the topic at hand - John’s right, room size matters immensely. That’s a pretty big room, so you’ll be needing speakers with considerable bass output, even with a subwoofer. Otherwise, the mains won’t blend well with the sub – i.e., the upper bass will be lacking. You might not notice that much with movies, but you will with music. And judging by your choice of speakers, I assume music matters to you.

You might want to check the Part 2 of this article House curve: What it is, why you need it, how to do it for more information, but here’s an easy way to tell. Once you get the speakers home, set them up with the receiver’s tone controls set to flat. If the speakers are right for the room, the sound should be balanced. If things sound “thin” (i.e., not enough bass) then the speakers are too small. If things sound thick and “boomy” (i.e., too much bass), then the speakers are too big.

I’m using generic terms like “”big” and “small” on the general assumption that large speakers have greater bass capability than small ones. Naturally, that’s as much a function of the speaker’s design as its physical size. Nevertheless, it’s not a bad reference, as if you find the speakers aren’t right you can probably trade them for a smaller or larger speaker from the same model line.

Of course, you can and should use the receiver’s tone controls if needed. That said, I’d prefer to have to reduce some bass from a too-large speaker than boost it for a too-small speaker.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks