What do you guys think of this non HD Philips 30" Widescreen Flat-Tube TV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by AlexM., Oct 21, 2003.

1. AlexM.

AlexM. Extra

They won't let me post the link but it's at BestBuy.com under 30" tv's. If you guys could check it out and tell me what you think that would be great.Keep in mind I'm 22 and have little money, this is why I want a non HD.But I would like widescreen and this is the only one i've seen that's non HD.Any opinions or ideas would be great. {Thanks}

Philips 30" Widescreen Flat-Tube TV with Component Video Inputs

Model: 30PW633R

2. Ryan/V

Ryan/V Auditioning

I am also thinking about buying this TV this weekend. I am in the same situation. (College student, little money) Does anyone have any thoughts? Please?

3. James T

James T Screenwriter

This tv really interests me as well. I don't have HD, so I could care less about it. But I do play Xbox as well as watch movies and of course cable tv.

I'll stop by Bestbuy today and look at the tv quality, since by coincidence, I'll be picking up T3. My main concern is the lifespan of the tv. I'm currently using a JVC 20" tube, but I've had it for 3 years with no problems. My living room tv is a Sony 25" that we've had for about 11 years and only last month did the fuse in the tv blow(was replaced and now works perfect again)

4. Franco m00nyoze

Franco m00nyoze Auditioning

*Short version at the bottom*

Last year I was searching for a month or two to upgrade from my Sanyo 25" that I've had for four years. To be honest, I was going wayyyy up, straight for HD - just so I wouldn't have to worry about it for the future. I found the Philips 30PW850H that fit my requirements and the Samsung TXN3071WHF. I didn't go with the Samsung, simply because the rear was awful. It has sharing inputs (a big no-no). Also, there wasn't enough of them (three). The Philips was better, but again, the inputs were too wacky for me (I'm particular due to mucho equipment). Long story short, I sacrificed widescreen for the Sony KV-32HS510. My reasoning? I don't watch enough dvds yet and the whole HD tuner price, antenna, etc..($400+) was displeasing 'cause I figured HDTV = HD automatically. To top it off, I'm still paying on it because of two years free interest! Not a bad deal IMO. At least I have progressive scan DVD and games. [​IMG]

*Get a Best Buy credit card and see how long you can pay on an HD set interest free!!

5. James T

James T Screenwriter

I'm back from Bestbuy. I saw all their widescreen tvs there and to be perfectly honest, I didn't like the picture of the Philips. It's possible it's a bad wire, but the picture that I saw wasn't that great. It's like there's some static interference in there. I saw a Toshiba 30(?) inch widescreen that cost $600CDN more, but the picture on that looked very, very nice. Either way, I'm passing on the Philips