What do you guys think of Paradigm speakers?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by trevorDO, Feb 11, 2006.

1. trevorDO

trevorDO Agent

I listened to the Paradigm Monitor 7's this morning and I was very impressed with there sound wich was running off a Marantz receiver and no amp. The full sound with the distictions with the highs and lows were very impressive. and gave some very good mid bass. I have Polk Audio RTi6's and CSi5 for front and was thinking about going with Paradigm Monitor 7's & CC370.

I just got my polks within the last5 months, so do you think it would be worth the money to up grade?

2. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Paradigms are good solid speakers and mate very well with Marantz gear. Of the various Paradigm lines, the studio line is the best bang for the buck, IMO. I don't know what kind of an upgrade the Monitor 7s would be from your Polks, since I'm not familiar with your speakers, but if it's only been five months and you're ready to upgrade, you may want to consider going to the studio line. And trust me, that's not a criticism of you....the vast majority of us are victims of upgrade-itis, my friend...

3. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

Take a look at the 600 series speakers from B&W. I had an all Paradigm HT several years ago and found the shrillness of their tweeters very fatiguing. The B&W's are much better speakers IMHO!!

4. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

I own Paradigm and love them, and I've listened to B&W which I like too. Boston makes a good speaker as well as many others that don't come to mind right away. If you can, go listen to as many different speakers before you buy. It might seem like a hassle but will give you a lot of peace of mind when you pick the speaker you like best.

5. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Speaking of upgrade-itis....exhibit A: Alan Pummill LOL

I keed, I keed.....the funny thing is, Mr. Pummill has a system right now that will absolutely KILL just about anyone elses [​IMG]

6. trevorDO

trevorDO Agent

I will have to check out the B&W speakers, they look very nicely built.

What is the price range of the 600 & 700 series?

7. RickTop

RickTop Extra

$350 (center) to $1500 (mains) range

8. RickTop

RickTop Extra

$350 (center/surrounds) to $1500 (mains) range.

in my opinion, they are just about perfect (at least for me) in both home theater and for music. i spent two years listening to them in both environments and they are the most neutral sounding speaker i have ever heard paired with a Marantz 7300 and an SVS cyllinder.

9. Alan Pummill

602.5 main, LCR600 center, LM1 X 3 surrounds, SVS PC-Ultra sub, Pioneer Elite VSX-54TX AVR. Hard to beat for the $$.

10. trevorDO

trevorDO Agent

Rick & Alan, Are you guys talking about Pardigm speakers or the B&W speakers?

11. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Paradigm makes excellent speakers for excellent value. In that price range you may also want to look at the Reference Studio 20s, especially if you do a lot of music listening.

The B&W 600 series is similar to the monitor series, a little bit pricier, but similar. IMO, I prefer the monitors over the 600 series however.

The 700 series is an excellent line, but a big step up in price, they start at about $1500/pr for the small monitors. In that pricerange there are a lot of excellent choices, and I was in that pricerange and decided on speakers other than B&Ws or Paradigms (ended up with Dynaudios), but if you're looking at the monitor series, there are relatively few speakers that are going to compete with that for value and performance.

12. Alan Pummill

I've owned both for years....have you?? IMHO, B&W 600 series is much smoother and easier on the ears than the Monitor series!! Of course that is to my ears...YMMV!!

Wharfedale's sounded good to me during an audition. Ended up with Magnepans!!

BTW, I had 7's front, CC350 center, 3's surrounds, PW2200 sub. Great HT, sucked for music!!

13. trevorDO

trevorDO Agent

What will the Studio Series 60 cost, and the CC-570?

14. trevorDO

trevorDO Agent

are the Paradigm monitor 7's a step up from the performance series phantom speaker? It looks that way from their specs.

15. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

trevor: Yes the monitor series is a line up from the performance series.

Alan: I spent a great deal of time with both the mini-monitors and the B&W 601, and personally I thought the monitors were better for 2-channel music. It's all a subjective thing, I like the 600 series a lot, but they were more fatiguing for me and un-natural, IMO. I've since moved well beyond that, but both are excellent choices in this pricerange.

16. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I have been a very happy owner of Paradigm Monitor 7s for over seven years. I personally like their sound. As you can see there are many different opinions regarding speakers. The bottom line is that the best choice is the speakers that sound the best to you.

17. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I have been a very happy owner of Paradigm Monitor 7s for over seven years. I personally like their sound. As you can see there are many different opinions regarding speakers. The bottom line is that the best choice is the speakers that sound the best to you.

18. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

19. Alan Pummill

I agree!!

I agree!!

I agree!!

20. trevorDO

trevorDO Agent

I certainly am leaning toward the Paradigm speakers, but am open to others.