What do you guys think is the best wall color for a HT room?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Danny Beck, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Danny Beck

Danny Beck Stunt Coordinator

I'm thinking about paiting the HT room in my new house after we move in. It's actually a finished basement but i'm basically going to make it a dedicated HT room. It's currently a nice light blue. So, i'm actually ok with it as is. However, i've recently been thinking of painting it a darker color.

In case you're wondering the room has NO windows so that is cool. I'm also thinking that it makes the wall color less important in terms of viewing a movie in the right enviornment. What do you guys think? Thanks.

2. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Black, flat black. If you want the best light absorbtion, I cannot recommend any other color. But, it will look like a cave. Some don't like that. If your going dedicated HT, there is no better color.

My ceiling is flat black and the walls are covered with black felt and the floor, black carpet. Wood work inside is all painted flat black.

The room nearly disappears when the lights go down which is what I wanted as it is solely dedicated to HT.

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Whatever color you like in a room.

4. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry Stunt Coordinator

Jack Ferry
    Dark walls (especially front wall) really do make a difference - more than you'd think.

5. Lyle_E

Lyle_E Stunt Coordinator

Be sure you are happy with the color you choose. I like the darker room but my choice of color is lacking. I am now getting ready to repaint prior to finishing the trim around the walls.

My wife calls the color I chose 'CaCa Brown' to be nice

6. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

My color is melted chocolate by Behr. Or caca brown would also fit. [​IMG]

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph

I only just recently painted the front wall flat black and it made a huge difefrence, despite the fact that the rest of the walls are off-white. I would recommend a flat black front wall plus whatever dark colour you like for the rest of the walls.

8. BrianKR

BrianKR Second Unit

I used deep amethyst (dark burgundy) and kettle black by behr (premium)

9. Rich A

Rich A Auditioning

I agree with Neil. What is important concerning the side and back walls is the reflection off the screen from the PJ image believe it or not.

When viewing a movie even with in a totally dark room, if you have bright or white walls, the movie brightness will be bounced around the room by those walls as the screen reflects the image back to you and around the rest of the room.

Dark room is good .. Keeps ambient light from affecting the SCREEN.

Dark Walls are also good (for another reason) .. Keeps the SCREEN reflections off them to a minimum.

I also have a VERY dark room. I'm in the middle of construction myself. But have the PJ and screen installed for testing. The walls are currently an eggshell white. When the movie is playing, the walls really light up the room from their reflection. (I'm assuming we are talking about a front projection system which might make wall color even more important as opposed to something like a large plasma or CRT) That's what I have, a ceiling mount PJ.

Sometimes it's better to ask "why" than "what" if you know what I mean.

10. GeorgeAB

GeorgeAB Second Unit

G. Alan Brown
    Danny Beck,

I prefer not to guess about what display type you plan to use in your dedicated home theater room. Please tell us. Guessing is a waste of time.

Video viewing environment characteristics should be based upon proven imaging science, not opinion. I can help you with the imaging science issues. Once you understand the rules governing display standards, you can choose a color scheme to suit your tastes within that context.

If your room will truly be dedicated to home theater, the viewing and listening experience should be first priority. How the room looks when not using the room for its primary function should be secondary at best. Not everyone is blessed with a dedicated space for their home theater. To make the most of your circumstances, consider proven cinematic methods before proceeding with your design decisions.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
    G. Alan Brown, President
    CinemaQuest, Inc.
    www.cinemaquestinc.com

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

11. Danny Beck

Danny Beck Stunt Coordinator

I'm likely going to be buying a 50" GW III LCD Projection. The room will certainly be a home theater room but maybe I mis-spoke when I called it a "dedicated" home theater room. [​IMG]

It's going to be a room with the tv and seating as the main attraction but we will still use the room for entertaining as it's got space for other things as well.

12. Phill O

Phill O Stunt Coordinator

13. Randy Laporte

I used a burgundy, I didn't want to dark, this way when people are just looking around at my signed memorablia, it still looks like a nice room and not just a big dark closet.
    The pictures I have on my site are a little light, the color on my walls are actually a little darker than the pics show.
    my HT