What's new

What do you guys think about Time Capsule? (1 Viewer)

Jonathan_

Second Unit
I can get a 500g Time Capsule from Amazon for $280. What do you guys think about it and is it worth the money? Thanks

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
If I needed both a router AND backup storage I'd think of getting one. Since I already had both, I couldn't justify the cost for the mere convenience of wireless Time Machine backups.

Jonathan_

Second Unit
I have a Netgear router, but I am not that big of a fan of it. I have read about lots of issues with Time Capsule so I am worried a little bit. It's in my Gold Box so I have to decide today.

Jonathan_

Second Unit
Yeah it's not a huge discount, but it's the best price I could find online. Especially since I get free 2 day shipping and no tax. I just have to talk myself into buying it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I like the idea a lot. The reviews are positive. The price is reasonable, and it's now a full gigabit hub/router. I'd like to get one when my current Time Machine drive fills up (and hopefully sell my current AEBS).

My only concern is that I can't transfer my current TimeMachine backup to a TimeCapsule and pick up where I left off. I can do that with a normal external drive, but the TC.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I have the 500G model and it simply works like it should doing what it does...no fuss no problem no worries. Not much more to be said really ;)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I only need it for storage (and I do need storage), not so much for a router.

Is it worth the expense?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Matthew - do you have a laptop and a wireless network?

If you've got a desktop and only need storage, you're better served with an additional internal drive (Mac Pro) or USB / FireWire external drive (iMac, Mac Mini).

For a laptop, Time Capsule is an expensive way to add storage, but provides easy wireless access to the drive. No need for an external drive you have to remember to eject before disconnecting (as I do with my MacBook Pro). And Time Machine will work over the network, which is cool.

If you already have an Airport Extreme or USB-capable router, you can plug a USB drive into it for network storage (but not Time Machine storage).

Hope that's not too many options
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I have two laptops, as a matter of fact (my mom and my sister each have one). I'm sure they would appreciate it. I already bought it and will look into additional internal storage, as my primary computer is a Mac Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks