What do you guys think about PSB Speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Spector, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Spector

Spector Stunt Coordinator

I haven't heard much about them on here but I was wondering what you guys thought about them.

Thanks!

2. EricK

EricK Second Unit

Excellent speakers...can't go wrong buying these!

Eric.

3. Jonathan Trueh

I own some PSB speakers and can't say enough good things about them. I have the 6T towers and 9C center. You will not be dissapointed if you go with the PSB line

4. Bob Marker

Bob Marker Stunt Coordinator

I have a pair of the PSB Stratus Bronze speakers in a 2 channel system. Excellent speakers IMO. Very competitive with other speakers I've owned including Thiel, Vandersteen, and Near, all of which cost more than the PSB.

5. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

PSB speakers are an amazing value for the money. I picked up their best speakers, the Stratus Gold i, for $1200 used (had to drive to AZ from Socal to pick 'em up), but they are worth much more. I've seen them going for around $1500 used on the net, and they are a bargain at that price. Their C6i center channel is also an excellent value for around $500. The Image and Alpha series are also great choices for the budget-conscious. Can't go wrong with any of them.

6. JeromeS

JeromeS Stunt Coordinator

I have the PSB Image 5T and 9C for my front 3 and they sound great for both HT and music. Can't go wrong with them.

7. Spector

Spector Stunt Coordinator

Are they cheaper to buy in canada like pardigm speakers are?

Thanks

8. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

Have Stratus Gold for L-R Fronts and 6C for center.
    2-SVS's 16-46+ for subs. Very happy with setup.[​IMG]

9. Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker Second Unit

I own the 6T mains, 9C center, and 10S surrounds. I really like them and believe they are the bargain of the decade. I haven't found too many who own them that didn't like them.

10. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

Like Paradigm, since they are Canadian, they are cheaper to buy in Canada. However, they are already cheap to begin with, and really do compare to speakers that are beyond their price range. The Stratus Goldi is consistently rated B in Stereophile, and IMO beats the Paradigm Studio/100. In fact, I think series for series, PSB speakers beat Paradigm speakers(Stratus vs Reference Studio, Image vs Monitor, etc)

11. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

I've owned the Paradigm 100v2's and I liked them very much. However, I listened to a pair of PSB Goldi's in the store and decided to take them home for a trial. It was a hell of a weekend because I had to move my Paradigm 100's into another room so that I could hook up the PSB's and so on.

I let the PSB's play from a Friday night to the next morning and into about 6:00pm Saturday. I listened to the PSB's until about 11:00pm and came away quite impressed. I quickly switched the Paradigms in and listened to them for a while and then went to bed. The next morning I listened to the Paradigms again and came to this conclusion. The PSB throws a larger soundstage up in my room then the Paradigm's did. The PSB's had a deeper bass presence in the form of extention. The Paradigm's seemed lighter and tighter in the bottom frequencies and seemed a little more detailed and bright. Not a bad bright but a good bright.

I guess how the speakers sounds really has to do with not only how the company tuned them but also your associated equipment and room.

Is any one better? Only your ears can be the judge. To answer your question if PSB's are any good? Well I took the Paradigm's back and kept the PSB Goldi's.

Good Luck

12. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

Stratus gold's are a great sounding speaker!!!

13. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

True, the Goldi's are an amazing speaker for their price. IMO it beats everything else in its price range, at least all those that I've auditioned(Paradigm Reference Studio, JM Labs Cobalts, Dynaudio Audience). Soundstage is wide, imaging, while not as precise as more expensive speakers, is still stable and consistent. Bass is abundant, so much so that I don't even miss my Servo-15 much on 2 channel music. I used to listen to music on my TagMcLaren AV32R using the TMS 5 channel+sub mode, then switched to Direct 2 channel+sub mode. Recently I switched to TMS 5 channel w/o the sub and found it to be more natural sounding, with enough bass to keep me smiling. I haven't gone back since...

14. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

My speakers consist of -
    PSB Stratus Silveri's
    Stratus C6i center
    Image 10S surround's .....Love 'em all, great speakers