What's new

What do you guys/gals think about Futon's? (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I was thinking of getting one for my theater room, I figured it would be comfortable for my guests to sit on while watching a movie. A friend of mine has one, and it's quite comfy whenever i'm at his house.
I was thinking of retiring my old bed anyway, how are futon's to sleep on, are they comfortable? I know that they usually only come with one 6" thick mattress, but I figured if I get 2 mattresse's it shouldn't be so bad.
Any input?

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Futons are nice, but don't try doing the wild thing on 'em! You keep sliding off... :)

PatrickM

Screenwriter
There somewhat comfortable but be careful about what's stuff in them. I don't know what was in my wife's futon (she had it before we got married) because I would swell up around the eyes and get shortness of breath like an allergy attack when I sat near it. My friends as well.

Patrick

Kendal Kirk

Stunt Coordinator
I am thinking about getting a few of these also. Since I have a problem falling asleep during my third movie of the night, I would think that if they are not comfortable to sleep on, that would be incentive enough to go snuggle with the other passion in my life, the wife :laugh: .

Stacie

Stunt Coordinator
John,

I love futons, but if you buy a cheap mattress, you will regret it in short order. Spend the extra money for a really good mattress with a good core (or even innerspring, if you like the way it feels). You'll probably need to go to a futon specialty store for such a thing, and they'll probably have lots of options. Sit on them, try them out, and opt for something that will hold up over time.

If you're considering a futon because your budget is tight, you should know that if you get a solid, good-looking frame and a really good mattress, you may be out as much as you would be for a cheap-to-mid-priced sofa. If you must skimp, skimp on the frame and not the mattress.

Of course, one of the advantages of futons is that you can upgrade either piece whenever it strikes your fancy and you can afford it. Also, you can change the cover easily, so if you redecorate or move the futon to another room, it's easy to "reupholster." It's a lot cheaper way to change the look of a room than buying new furniture (or even having traditional furniture reupholstered or slipcovered).

We have two futons in our home-theater room. They're about three years old, and the mattresses are holding up beautifully. I love them because they're comfortable without being so soft and cushy that you just sink into them (true of so many sofas). They can also double as a guest bed, for a fraction of the cost of a really good sofa sleeper.

Good luck!

ikiru

Stunt Coordinator
Futons are ok. Dont get a cheap one. We had a cheap one in my apartment when I was in college and after a while, the mattress lost its padding and it felt like you were sitting directly on the bars. If you want to get a futon, take the advice of others on this thread and get one with a good mattress.

Keep this in mind, for the money of a good futon, however, you can get a very comfy sofa.

Good luck!

-ikiru

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
I have one and it's the most uncomfortable thing to ever sit on for the length of a movie. In fact, I stopped sitting on it altogether!

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
I have one.The entire frame is solid oak.The mattress has springs and is super thick/super comfey.I think it was around $500 including cover.

For that price,we could of gotten a lower end couch but we lived upstairs at the time and wanted what ever we had to be easy to move.

I am wanting new furniture now.The futon served us for several years,I just want somthing nicer.I think I will use it for my sons bed as he is out growing his.

How is it to sleep on?Well,I slept on it last night!I dont even unfold it,not for just me.I sleep on it better than my own bed

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
They are fine at first, but evolve into a rock.
Amen to that:)
Like someone else said spend as much as you can on the mattress, skimp on the frame if need be. We got a pretty expensive mattress but its starting to show its age since its getting a little hard now....the nice thing is though is going to be fairly cheap to bring it back to new since the frame and cover are in great shape. Speaking of covers...these range from cheap cotton to expensive leather or upholstry cloth again these are easy to upgrade later if need be.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I love futons I just got one and its very comfy. But they fucked up my order and I got the wrong mattress! I need a spring mattress for my back.

--

Holadem

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Some of my best work has been done on a futon.

For sleeping, the most comfortable futon I've found is two thinnish futons placed on top of each other. If you've never slept on a futon before, it takes a little getting used to, especially if you have previously used an over-soft bed.

However, I must confess that I've never found futon sofas remotely comfortable. This may be my height (6ft 9), so don't take this as a 'normal' reaction. I'd also say you should decide which type of base is going to be the least fuss for you. The 'traditional' (at least in the UK) ones are folded up on themselves, and are a total pain to put out and fold away (especially if you're tired and want to get to sleep).

I'd endorse the comment about getting what you pay for, with either base or the mattresses themselves.

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I slept on one for 3 years in college and have used it on occasion at home in the family room. I thought they were fine, but not as comfy as my couch.

Jin E

Second Unit
You will defnitly get what you pay for with a Futon. With a good quality frame and a good quailty matress they can be very comfortable and last a long time (though I have never found one as comfortable as a good couch). This big bonus with a Futon (especially if you get a good frame) is that you can really change the look of a room pretty easy by adding a different cover to the matress. Later on in life if you move to a new house with a different decor... you could probaby get your futon to match with a new cover. I prefer a harder bed... so I don't mind sleeping on a Futon. I they are great for guests... if I had the choice between sleeping on a good futon or a fold out couch, futon will win hands down.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks