What's new

What do you guys do with all your old DIY projects? (1 Viewer)

KyleGS

Second Unit
My DIY projects are starting to pile up! I always want to upgrade and it leaves tons of projects to get rid of.

The problem is: my spks are probably better than most 500-1000 store brand floostanders and my sub is definately worth MUCH more than anyone (lay person) would know.

I've already hooked up all my friends and family with older DIY projects.....

What do you guys do with your DIY projects? I would be happy to just get 100 dollars over materials.

Lastly-- how on earth would I ship a 100+lb sub if I were to ship it? How do I pack, how do I crate, who would ship it?

Geoff C

Agent
Real Name
Geoff
send them to me? :D

In all seriousness though, I'm gearing up to do a bunch of DIY projects this summer, and I've wondered the same thing.

My family/friends either don't want or need speakers.
My sis-in-law is in college, but giving a nice veneered pair of monitors to have some drunk guys leave their beers on, just doesn't seem worth it.

I suppose one option would be to slap some sort of personal label/insignia on them to make them appear less garage-made, and sell them at a garage sale or ebay.

Darren_T

Second Unit
Shipping a 100 pound sub isn't as hard as it sounds. You need to find a double layer corrugated box and line it with a minimum of 2 inches of styrofoam insulation. You can buy 4 X 8 sheets of it at Home Depot for $12 each. You want to wrap the sub in plastic if it has a nice finish. Line the bottom of the box with the styrofoam then put the sub in there. Then pack all around the sub with minimum of 2" of foam, I recommend 4" though for such a heavy object. Pack it tight and tape the bejesus out of it when closed. Insure it, and send it off.

I used to build custom speaker enclosures for people. I've shipped many pairs of Ellis 1801's along with others. The 1801's in one box amount to quite a large and heavy package. More weight than a smaller sub. I had only one issue where the box must have been dropped 15' onto concrete but the speakers were fine, the internal electronics suffered though from the shock upon impact.

Oh, I've found if you are selling USED DIY stuff you are lucky to make your money back in components if at all unless you are selling to another person who is "in the know". Most people won't buy it unless it has a Sony badge or Kenwood :D

Phew, that was long winded. Hope it helps.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
The more I got into the hobby, the more I found my garage and room turning into a parts warehouse:

I just end up keeping all my junk, and hoping that in the future it will find some "use"... Guess it's the quality of a DIY pack rat. : /

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I have an old cheapie 8" sub I built a few years ago. It's been sitting idle in my basement for about a year.

It actually sounds pretty nice considering it only cost about $100 to put together.

It used to sit behind my CD rack in my livingroom.. but, since I've moved, it doesn't fit into the decor anymore. I thought about redoing the enclosure, but that wouldn't really be cost-effective.

The problem is that I'm so proud of how it sounds at such a low price that I hate to see it go.

Geoff C

Agent
Real Name
Geoff
Tim,

Your design sounds alot like the new Extremis LCR, with a different tweet.

How are those extremis performing for ya?

TimForman

Supporting Actor
I'd been using the Extremis in a two-way design prior to this. I demo'd it at a local audio club meeting along with my little bookshelf. They were both well received and I was told that if I could get the highs of the bookshelf out of the two-way it would be wonderful. At the same time I had been visiting Dan while he was designing the LCR and when I heard the prototype I knew what I had to do. I'm continually impressed with the performance of the Extremis and it's ability to produce high SPL and deep bass with minimal distortion while maintaining a friendly impedance load. The Danes really hate being shown up by this driver, especially when it's half the price of their's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks