What do you get for your $30 from the Eighty-Eight's SACD label?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Rachael B, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Answer: extrodnary sound quality in my experience. DSD recorded, of course. I bought Joe Chamber's URBAN GROOVES a couple of months ago because Gary Bartz played sax on it. I knew it couldn't be all bad if he was on it. I was right and it was even better than I antcipated. Joe, a drummer/vibraphone/marimba player, composed several of the tracks and the rest are covers. They perform tracks by Duke Ellington, Miles you know who, Marcus Miller, and Victor Young. It's a very good album all in all. I thought it might be the best recorded SACD in my collection when I got it. You certainly won't have to worry about the nasty over-pumped levels you so frequently get from "big five" labels!

When I found out that Phoebe Snow was singing on Will & Rainbow's HARMONY, I couldn't stop myself from forking over $30 again. Again, I was delighted with the product. I'd never heard of Will Boulware before. I wouldn't of even considered buying the album if Phoebe Snow wasn't on it. I did notice that Steve Gadd was the drummer and he's purr-dy good. I couldn't even begin to count how many albums I own that he drums on...?

HARMONY is a jazz album that's a little pop-ish on the edges. That's OK with me. I'm no jazz purist. Phoebe Snow sings on 3 cuts. She sounds particularly at home singing the King/Goffin standard WILL YOU LOVE ME TOMORROW. I got less of a thrill from her cover of the Isley Brothers' FOR THE LOVE OF YOU. I like her other cut, Richard Jones', TROUBLE IN MIND much more.

Oh, Michael Brecker plays sax on 2 cuts. I'd give anything a listen that he or his brother played on! Will Boulware seems to be a very competent but not spectacular jazz pianist. He certainly assembled a very good cast for this album. He composed just two of the 10 tracks. He covers stuff by Keith Jarret and Herbie Hancock amongst others. If you subtracted the Phoebe Snow cuts this would stille be a solid jazz album. The guitarist, who I am not familar with, Peter Bernstein is rock solid particularly on Will's composition NEW AND OLD.

The icing on the cake is that I now believe this to be my best sounding SACD. Even when I play it on my weakest SACD player, SCD-775, it makes that player shine like it usually does not.

The only downside, besides price, to the Eighty-Eight's releases is that they are single-layer. The notes say that part of the album was recorded at Sony's Tokyo Studios. Does anybody know if Sony owns this label? I kind'a suspect that possibility. The discs come in reg-lar jewell cases like Sony does. They are evidently primarily aimed at the Nipponese market. They have the title in Nipponese on one side of the jewell case and they have those little papaer inserts on one side that come with Nipponese media, whatever they're called? Inside, the linear notes are a mixture of Nipponese and Anglish [​IMG].

Besides price and single-layered-ness these are two very fine SACD's. Most of the Eighty-Eight's releases are by folks that I don't know squat about. Superior audio quality seems to be the label's hallmark if these two albums are indicative of the label as a whole. I highly recommend both. BTW, I think both are offered on heavy vinyl too, I know HARMONY is.

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Answer: Dave Baker engineering and worth every penny.

[​IMG]

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Lee, is it a Sony label????

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I was thinking that you get to say that you spent $30 for a single SACD, which is too much. [​IMG] Glad to hear they sound good, though. At least they are single-layer discs, so at $30, you don't get to say that you have spindle cracks. [​IMG]

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

6. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Keith, you should put one of their titles in your collection as a reference disc. They're that good, I think. They're pricey and I won't buy many. HARMONY puts it's tongue down the master tape's throat.[​IMG] You should watch the Eighty-Eight's for a title that really intrests you.

Lee, now you're sure that the Eighty-Eight's don't work 'fer ya'all?[​IMG]

HARMONY is my new favourite SACD...97th & COLUMBUS has slipped to 2nd.

Keith, I've yet to see a crack in any of my discs. I have so many...I don't play many of them over and over. I have a big rotation. Best wishes guyz!

7. Emil Stoica

Emil Stoica Second Unit

8. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Emil, I think you'll be amazed by HARMONY. I was listening to it again last night on my dedicated stereo and it's growing even more on me. I'm just amazed at how good Phoebe's vocals are recorded. Heads Up makes a terrific product but this is a notch above. Best wishes broke type dude! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Nice to hear they sound so good.

If you want to hear everything Brecker played on, you're in for a lot of listening. [​IMG] I think that dude is on every album ever made or something.

These discs are unattractive to me because:

1. Price
    2. The titles themselves, while they look interesting, aren't on my wish list.
    3. Single layer

10. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Mike, besides about a half-dozen Brecker Brother Band records, I bet, bare minimum I have 200+ records that he or his brother or both play on. Mike this is a totally bitchin' disc. It's my reference stereo SACD and I have beaucoups of titles. Best wishes! [​IMG]

11. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

It seems that in all of the reviews I've read, "Friendship" from Max Roach and Clark Terry rates very well also.

12. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

13. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Try the All Music Guide website. I think you can search by engineer...[​IMG]