What's new

What do you do with your original dvds after you've double dipped? (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Sometimes, you get burned. I regret selling my Pinocchio DVD about a year ago... I assumed that the SE would hit DVD sooner.

But my re-sales of Casablanca, GWTW, Blazing Saddles, and North by Northwest were aptly timed. I just sold The Wizard of Oz, as well... I'm more or less fine with that since I'd rather see the film in Ultra Resolution next.

However, some chances are not worth taking. I almost sold my five Image Entertainment Chaplins, but I was worried about City Lights not including the Carl Davis re-score. Thanks to problems with the PAL conversions, I have some really valuable DVD's that I won't get rid of. Same thing for the Criterion version of Notorious. Sure, I can get a lot of money for it, but why? So I can buy the eventual MGM/Sony edition with no extras and a low bitrate image?

There's also the problem with people taking your bait... I tried re-selling my 8-disc Universal Horror box set in anticipation of the Legacy sets, but no one wanted to buy it... even reduced to $130. Can't really blame them since the 6 Legacy sets plus the upcoming Phantom '43 re-issue is cheaper and more of a value (9 films in the original box set, almost 3 dozen among the Legacy sets).

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
I keep some of them. For instance,

- I still have the original versions of Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles and Weird science because these have the original Mono soundtrack whereas the newer versions do not.

- Apollo 13 for the isolated score

- Bad Boys SE for the extras + Bad Boys Superbit for the DTS

- Blackhawk Down - we all know about this one

- Dances with Wolves Theatrical & Extended versions

and so on...

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
It depends... I will get the SE, and only if it is superior, and has all the features of the original release, will I sell it. If it does not have all the featrues, I will keep the original release. If the SE disappoints me in any way, it gets sold.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

I haven't been burned yet. Even if an announced release got cancelled I could always, in most cases, just repurchase a copy of the DVD I'd sold.

Jing_B

Stunt Coordinator
I'd try to sell the originaland get money to buy the newer edition. Now planning to sell my copy of Jaws: 25th Anniversary in place for the new 2-Disc version. The Wizard of Oz I'm also planning to sell for the upcoming Ultra-Resolution Version. One that I won't sell is my copy of 2001 the one that was released in the year 2001. I know that a new version will come out in 2006 but to me, its release in 2001 makes the DVD more significant

John*P

Second Unit
After getting The Lost Boys: SE, I traded in my old copy at Blockbuster for a free rental...

I traded in my old Problem Child DVD at Blockbuster, as I plan on getting the newer disc with PC 1 & 2 on it...

I have both DVD versions of The Breakfast Club, but I'm not getting rid of my old one, as it is the first DVD I ever bought. :-p Plus it has production notes that the second one lacks...

Alan_H

Stunt Coordinator
I give them to my brother for Christmas and his birthday. He's a doctor and could afford any movie he wants, but is too cheap to actually go out and buy them. Now I have some upgraded DVD special editions and he has his own private collection... everybody's happy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks