What do you do with your DVD Boxed Sets?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CRyan, Sep 18, 2001.

1. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Just wondering how many of you place all of your DVD boxed sets together in one place on your shelves? Or do you just shelve them using your "regular" method of DVD organization? I have even seen some put each disc in its own keepcase.
    What do you do with them?
    C. Ryan
    ------------------
    http://www.elitestoragedesigns.com/RyanOAR.bmp

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    My collection is in alphabetical order from The Abyss to Young Guns with the box sets on the same rack.

3. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

I put them all alphabetically as well, including boxes, even though it makes the entire row seem a little disproportional. The newest boxes etc may get their own shelf though provided there is room ATM. Once in a while I reorganize a little etc and get extra room for a few select boxes, but somehow the extra space disappears really fast. Currently The Kubrick box set and Ultimate toy box have honorary places, in addition to Anchor bay tins, which I haven't really figured out how to place without damaging/scratching the box, but I have deep bookshelves, so currently I place them in front of the other DVD's.
    I'm sure you all will rest better tonight knowing this [​IMG]
    ------------------
    "You're 10 seconds away from the most embarrassing moment of your life!"
    Click here to admit you want to see Ford Fairlane on DVD!
    DVD List LD List

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  5. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I store my dvds in several sets of bookcases. Box sets go on top. Of course I only have two at the moment, those being the Chaplin and remastered Kubrick sets. The Godfather trilogy will be joining them shortly... [​IMG]
    ------------------
    He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
    -- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I too just alphabetize them in order. For instance, in the A's I have "Al Pacino Collection", even though the films are Carlito's Way, Scarface, Scent of a Woman, and Sea of Love.
    I have a coworker who, with this type of box set, instead takes the keepcases out of the box, throws the box away, and shelves the individual movies in alphabetical order. He doesn't, though, take something like Sopranos and make individual boxes for them; that he keeps together.
    It's all a matter of taste, I guess.
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause.
    Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.
    Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.
    http://www.miami.com/herald/content/...ocs/000565.htm

7. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

"throws the box away"
    [​IMG]
    Aargh! Heart attack!

8. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I used to have them just in with the other movies, but have started taking them out and putting them in a seperate area - mainly because the Hitchcock sets just don't fit anywhere, but also because it would have meant buying another shelf. [​IMG]
    Besides, sitting on top of the AV cabinet, they make a great place for the McFarlane Movie Maniacs Series III figures to hang out.

9. Rain

Rain Producer

10. Ricky f

Ricky f Supporting Actor

11. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I organize my DVD's by Studio, including boxed sets.
    Since my collection is getting bigger, I will probably have to go to an alphabetized system shortly!

12. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Actually, my collection is organized by genre and alphabetically within each genre. My boxed sets are all mixed in right now, but I would like to have them separate I think. I generally like the boxes with the boxed sets. However, in instances like the X-Files, you simply cannot throw the case away fo course.
    C. Ryan
    ------------------
    http://www.elitestoragedesigns.com/RyanOAR.bmp

13. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I store mine in milk crates ... no order.... I like chaos [​IMG]
    Brent L

14. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

If the box set contains discs in individual keepcases then I remove the discs and stash the box away. I've even traded away a few empty boxes for DVDs. Unless the artwork is excellent, I have little use for the outer packaging.

15. Casey Neutron

Casey Neutron Stunt Coordinator

On my shelf, all box sets are left intact, though this often makes it more difficult to retrieve one particular film--sometimes you have to take the whole box off the shelf and give it a good shake if they're packaged tightly (the Woody Allen collections come to mind).
    I would love to alphebetize my movies but it's impossible with Warner and Fine Line's snapper cases. The snapper cases, as we all know, stick out farther than the others, and this would give the collection a rather lopsided appearance. I have to keep all snapper cases separate from the others and have resorted to organizing everything by studio.

16. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

17. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Alphabetically, still in their boxes (I love my packaging). I also split them into the R2, R0 and R1 - more so I don't mistaken give a R1 to someone who can't play it or try to stick a R2 in my DVD-ROM.
    Theo

18. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

Most of my box sets are in a shelf, the DVDs themselves are in my player (301-disc player allows me to rarely handle them: no scratching, finger printing, etc.). If you check out my web site, you'll see that some of them, prized tins and such are kept out on display. For instance, the Hong Kong Editions of all four Star Wars films on DVD.
    ------------------
    "I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
    My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html

19. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    If anyone out there normally throws the box away when buying a box set, please e-mail me in the future before doing so! I love a nice big box set, but I'm much to poor to be able to afford such luxuries. I buy the discs separately, and if you don't want your box, I'd love to take it off your hands. I'd be happy to pay for shipping. My email address is [email protected]
    Thanks.

20. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    Alphabetized with the DVDs in their respective boxes.
    ------------------