What do you do with your components once you upgrade?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Niel_JL, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Niel_JL

Niel_JL Stunt Coordinator

It seems many people here are constantly upgrading. Everytime a new product comes out, so many of you can't wait to upgrade. What do you do with your old components. Use them in another room, sell tem, return them, trash them, smash them with a big sledgehammer just for the hell of it? [​IMG] . Since this is a world of capitalism, I would guess most of you try to sell them. So what do YOU do?
    My dad gave me his tape deck and receiver he bought in the late 70's. I tossed them in the dumpster 2 years ago cause they were collecting dust (they didn't work anymore)

2. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

I usually give them to my parents or brother in law. If not I just use them in another room. I have furnished my parents with a complete home theater minus the tv and my brother in law a receiver (old pro logic) and speakers. The madness never ends. I have not upgraded recently, except for the toshiba 4700 over Christmas but when the Outlaw gets here I can finally move my receiver to its new home, my office [​IMG] At some point I will probably have to start selling my stuff as I will run out of relatives and space, no wait, I'll just buy a bigger house [​IMG]

3. Niel_JL

Niel_JL Stunt Coordinator

I have a feeling once I'll need to upgrade the system I'm going to get this spring, I'll also need to upgrade my wife's cooperation [​IMG]

4. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

I gave one to my nephew and one was moved to my bedroom. You know these old units would make great amps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Either I move them to my secondary HT systems to upgrade them, or I sell them. A few years ago I sold a 10 year old Sony Betamax to a guy in Norway for almost $700. If you originally bought hi value gear at the best price you could, you usually can get a good deal of your money back when you sell them. Then you can use this money to buy your next upgrade at its' lowest pricing available.

6. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

Thr first place they go to is another room. Then they get delegated to family members. Usually the last place they go to is being sold to strangers (not that it doesn't happen)

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I will either move them to another system (I have a 2nd HT in the master bedroom, and an audio system in the basement recreation room), sell them if I feel they still have a decent resale value, or give them away to family/friends.

8. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

I usually try to bring my parents "up to speed" by giving them my old equipment. They were recently the recipients of an older model Toshiba DVD player. It was way too basic for my application, but seems to suit them just fine! If I don't think that they'd use a piece of equipment, I try to get some money for it from a buddy or else I sell it online.

9. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Stunt Coordinator

When ever possible first I try to "recycle" my old components back into a different use in my home theater. Failing in that, then move them to another room, and finally I'll sell them. (I've never actually sold anything yet, but I'm to the point where I'll have to. :b )
    When I upgraded from ProLogic to Dolby Digital I upgraded my direct radiating side surrounds to dipoles. When I upgraded from 5.1 to 6.1, I "recycled" the old side surrounds to become rear surrounds. When I upgraded my front center channel speaker I "recycled" it to become a rear center channel speaker in my 6.1 set-up. (I'm using the 6.1 nomenclature to mean 5.1 discrete channels plus a matrixed 6th mono channel that is being sent to three rear surrounds.)
    When I upgraded my old LFE subwoofer I relocated my old subwoofer to the rear of the room and “recycled” it to be a dedicated surround subwoofer. When I upgraded from 5.1 to 6.1, my add-on rear surround processor had a convenient surround subwoofer out connection which made it very easy to connect a subwoofer devoted just to the surround channels.
    When I upgraded from 6.1 to 7.1 I replaced my trusty old Pioneer receiver and Vantas Dolby Digital surround adapter with a Lexicon MC-1. They are being relocated to the recreation room. They are displacing a beautiful old Carver Receiver, also in the recreation room. So I’ll be forced to sell the Carver. [​IMG]
    Larry