What do you do with old components?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BradK, Mar 29, 2002.

1. BradK

BradK Stunt Coordinator

Seeing how components these days seem to be outdated almost as fast as computers, I was curious to know what some of you do with them. In the past, I have sold dated CD players, TV's, etc. to pawn shops for a minimum $$. I have also sold to friends. I guess what makes me ask this is the fact that it sounds like a lot of you upgrade a helluva lot sooner than I have or will. What the heck are you doing with your old stuff? How do you get the best $$ back? I know that the receiver I just bought,(Yam.RX-V800) some of you would have upgraded from THAT by now !! Just curious.

2. Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo Second Unit

Since my budget is very minimal, I am actually using my old stereo reciever (100x2) to push my passive DVC sub. That way, all the power from my DD,DTS, DPLII reciever gets to the mains,center, and surrounds. I will one day upgrade this to either a powered sub, or a dedicated amp, and probably use this reciever in my computer room, or weight room ???

Other things you can do is create an account on ebay. Most times, you can make all your money back if not more, depending on what you paid for the goods. Supply and demand. I post alot in newsgroups too. Local .forsale newsgroups to be exact. Lots of stuff changes hands that way, and you will most definitely get more than what a pawnshop will give you, if not stuff traded along with sale.. My .02

3. Andrew Signore

Andrew Signore Auditioning

YOu can always start working on your bedroom home theater[​IMG]

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

or check out the "Hardware For Sale/Trade" section [​IMG]

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

It depends on the component. If the piece still has a decent resale value I will sell it. I have sold a Sony ES receiver, some old Bose 601 speakers and a Sony DVP-330 DVD player. Otherwise, I may move the old piece to my second or third system if it offers an upgrade. If none of the above apply, I will give it away to family or friends.

6. RogerB

RogerB Second Unit

I put mine in a closet and then in 5 years when they are seriously out-dated I throw them out.

7. Dave_CG

Dave_CG Auditioning

The multiple system trail. Amps, speakers, CD Players, DVD players, everything follows the same path. From 'Ye Old Colonial Theater'...to upstairs family room, to bedroom, to shed by the pool. Most visitors think i'm nuts, but my 15 year old Pioneer receiver still sounds great for music out by the pool...even with $50 all weather speakers from BJ's.